1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question - Matching headstock on Pre-CBS Precisions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if 1960 PBasses or any pre-CBS pbasses came with matching head stocks? Was this a custom option?

I have seen matching headstocks on Jazz basses from this era but not PBasses.

Thanks.

2. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Very rarely do you see a matching headstock on a vintage P-Bass...was only a custom request as far as I know.

3. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

That's what I was assuming but I wasn't sure.

I am doing a refin on a 1960 Pbass. Since I wouldn't be destroying the value since it was already stripped I was playing with idea of an aged matching olympic white headstock. Little chance I would do it but I do like matching headstocks.

Is this blasphemy?

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

1960 specifically, wasn't an option year on Jazz Basses, the matching heastock option became available for '61 as the first year.
    P Basses though, it wasn't an option for some reason. Norm's Rare Guitars had one P in all these years, but I thought it was believed to have originally been a Fender employee or artist with close ties that was able to get it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I wouldn't be too hung up on exact historic accuracy. Not with a bass that's had the original finish entirely removed. There are all kinds of reissues and authentic looking copies of 1960 P-basses out there. Here you have the opportunity to start from scratch. Why dwell on period correctness at the expense of what you really want?

Here's how I'd look at it - Think about what you would do if you had the opportunity to go back in time to 1960 and purchase a Precision bass and bring it back with you. If you would bring back a standard sunburst, then do the bass that way. But, under those circumstances, you might custom order exactly what you want from the Fender factory, then do that. If you went to a Fender dealer in 1960 and said "I want to custom order a Precision bass in Oly white with a matching headstock", you'd get it. So why hesitate now.

7. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

Do it!!!!

Matching headstocks are one of my favorite looks on a bass. I've got the jones for a vintage style p-bass with a matching headstock

8. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Aaaargh! Why do I do this to myself??!! I can get talked into anything......TB Peer Pressure....

[​IMG]

9. lpbfender

lpbfender

A differentiated look is the one to go for. The only thought is if you are removing the original headstock finish and decal which would lessen value and diminish the vintage look .

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The headstock finish on his bass has been stripped to bare wood, as I recall. If the headstock had the original finish, putting a matching color to it would be out of the question.

11. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

12. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Had not thought about this. Kind of cool if you think of it this way. I did find an original 58 that was special ordered in white with matching headstock.

[​IMG]

13. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte Supporting Member

That looks awesome!

14. Tbone76

Tbone76

I say go for it. It took you a while to get the bass you want, and as you've said, it's not a collector piece, it's a player. Finish it the way you want it, and rock it out! FWIW, I think it would look great.