1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Question on amp impedance/watts to match new cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LyonsBass, Feb 5, 2013.

1. LyonsBass

LyonsBass

So I`ve done the Ohms FAQ readthrough but i`m yet to find some solid solution to the question I`ve been wondering.

Firstly,if my AMP is 450watts at 4Ohms

Does that mean any other cabinet I connect up to it that runs on 8ohms will draw 225watts due to resistance?

Secondly, I have a 600watt cab at 8 Ohms, does this mean that I have only been getting 225 watts power from the amp?

And if this logic is correct, I am safe to assume that I can get a new 300watt cab at 8 ohms, and push it fairly hard since I will only be getting 225 watts in total?

If this is all pretty much accurate, I should be able to run my 600w + 300w cabs through the 450watt amp for maximum power and volume efficiency. :bassist:

Cheers

2. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Yes, yes, and yes. As long as BOTH cabs are 8 ohm cabs you can use both together and the amp will be operating with a 4 ohm load.

With an 8 ohm load your amp will only be able to push 225(ish) watts. With a 4 ohm load (one 4 ohm cab or a combination of cabs that equal 4 ohms, such as 2-8 ohm cabs) your amp will be able to reach its maximum potential.