1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question on Brian Bromberg Bass by Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu Rose, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

Greetings,

I want to get a 5 string, have not had one for several years now, the Bromberg bass by Carvin seems really well thought out and they look great.

Has anyone played them that can give some input and reviews on playability, tones you can get, build quality, hows the B string, etc...

With the features I want it would be about a $1700-1800 purchase and I want to be sure.

2. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Sorry havent played one but loved the Dean version of this bass and have been thinking of ordering the Carvin version sight unseen also.

3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Fit and finish is excellent. The neck is pretty small, but not abnormal for a 5 string. With the single coils, it's Marcus Miller all the way, but the preamp is very versatile. The humbuckers are a bit fatter, but still have that modern tonality.
    I honestly think that you won't get better quality at the same price anywhere.

4. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

There's a fairly large thread about this, and Brian himself even answers questions about it. Do a search, it's a good read.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

To ME, the ultimate Bromberg bass is the Peavey B Quad (4 and 5). But, they are super hard to find in the 5 string version. I had one which took me MONTHS to find. And I just sold it last month. But, I saw that there's another one that has just been posted in the TB Classifieds. It's in your price range, and I think it looks a lot nicer than the Carvin version. And, of course, the Peavey B Quad has a graphite neck, made by Modulus. You can find basses that play as well, but I'm not sure you'll ever find one that plays better than a B Quad that is properly setup.

7. LostInSauce

LostInSauce

I've played one before and they are great basses. The electronics are slightly different than the other Carvin basses in that the volume acts as a "Master Volume" and affects everything proportionally. This is to overcome the popular EQ problem of turning down your volume and subsequently losing all your bass.

Apart from that and the body styling...it's the same as other Carvin basses. Carvin offers an assymetrical wide neck (3" at the 24th) as an option; but on the Bromberg it's standard.

8. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

I want the bass to be versatile I play rock, pop, jazz, some slap.

I saw a you tube with bromberg playing jazz and it seemed to have the warmth and it also seems to have the modern tone as well when he was doing some Namm demos, etc...

9. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

Thanks

10. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Hey Stu, thank you for the thread on the questions. There is a Carvin B2 Bass thread in here that addresses all of your concerns, but I thought I would answer a few of them directly.

I feel that Carvin did a fantastic job with the B2 Bass. I don't think there are many basses in the industry that are American made that has the fit, finish, and quality of build that Carvin does, especially in the price range that they offer.

They truly are almost like a big custom shop. You can truly customize your bass and make it very personal for you, while still maintaining the integrity of the product line. It is a very cool business model.

You made a statement "I want the bass to be versatile I play rock, pop, jazz, some slap." To me one of the best things about the bass and it's circuit board is the versatility. You can get the bass to totally blend in the track with almost no identity (which is what you want most of the time when you are doing recording sessions) to being way out front with a powerful, in your face sound.

I am primarily a jazz player but love playing all kinds of music. As a session player I have to be able to play all styles as well as have a sound that does not take to much attention or real estate away from the track. When I do a session I have no idea half the time if it is going to be a jazz, rock, pop, country etc... session, so it's very important that my bass is versatile enough to fit into all of those genre's.

I can tell you this, I recorded a Jimi Hendrix tribute CD for Japan a few years ago called "Bromberg Plays Hendrix". The basses I originally used on the CD were wonderful instruments but had humbucking pick-ups with a more modern sound. When I was getting ready to release the "Bromberg Plays Hendrix" CD here in the USA I went into my studio for the hell of it as I wanted to hear my Carvin B2 Basses on a track just for fun. Well.......they sounded so good in the music that I ended up replacing all of my 4 string, 5 string, fretted and fretless basses on the entire CD under an insane deadline before mastering because I liked the sound of the basses so much!

Let's face it, a fat single coil pick-up sound to my ears worked way better then a modern humbucking sound in music that came to life in the 60's!

I'm not sure where you live but there are a few Carvin stores in Southern California where you can go play and check out the basses.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have so please feel free to ask in here as well as ask other Talkbass B2 guys. They are very knowledgeable and helpful, and really know their basses.

Thanks man and good luck with your search. All the best.........B2

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Hey Brian,

It's always so cool to see you posting here! This is totally OT, but I wanted to say that another TB'er turned me onto your new Internet radio station a few weeks ago and it has become my daily driver, so to speak. I keep it on all day, every day, at my office. GREAT WORK!!

For the rest of you lot, check out Bass On The Broadband.

http://www.bassonthebroadband.com/

You can listen to the stream from your browser, or find it in WinAmp (what I'm using now).

12. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

Brian

Thanks for the personal reply it is very cool. I'm on the east coast unfortunately I cannot visit a Carvin store. Your design seems like one of the best around so I'm doing my homework.

P.S. I love your playing, do you have any CDs where you cover some Jazz standards on electric or double bass?

Thanks again.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

They're a very nice instrument, Stu. I own two of the five-string Carvin Bromberg models - a fretted and a fretless - and I just love 'em!

I can't speak much to the electronics, as I've had the preamps replaced with a pair of Audere 4-bands, and will soon have the stock Carvin soapbar pickups replaced with a couple sets of custom SGD Sidewinders.

But as to the design, i.e. form & feel of the instruments, I couldn't be happier. They have a very sleek, slim & modern aesthetic that's also well-balanced, and very comfortable to hold and to play. The neck tapers quite a bit down toward the nut, but broadens out considerably up by the 24th fret - which makes it ideal for playing walking lines and/or groove parts down low, while soloing way up high.

Each of mine has a five-piece maple neck and swamp ash body sides, with an ebony fretboard/fingerboard (stainless steel frets on the fretted; epoxied fingerboard on the fretless), so they're bright, punchy, well-defined, and modern in tone. Each one has a set of light-gauge DR Fat Beams, and the .120 gauge "B" string is a fine match for both of them, played with a light touch, of course.

MM

14. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation Supporting Member

Hi Stu,
    You might check out the following page (and its associated links) if you haven't already:
    http://www.allmusic.com/artist/brian-bromberg-mn0000623336

HTH...
    Allen

15. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

Thanks everyone big help

16. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

Not quite...

The Bromberg is neck-through and I believe that, like the preamp w/singles, the neck profile is unique to the B25 series. It is also not asymmetrical. IMHO, the B25 is far and away the most comfortable and versatile bass Carvin makes. It balances itself when seated and is very comfortable on a strap. It sounds great with flats or rounds.

I have had one since they first came out, and to this day it still amazes me everytime I play it. The B25 has bounced many a boutique bass out of my stable. It's a one piece neck and I have never had to adjust it, unless I change between strings with very different tensions. It's also one of the very few basses I've ever owned that is on the 'never, ever gonna even think about selling it' list.