Question on Buying a used Ampeg 810 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by P Town, Sep 23, 2013.

1. P Town

P Town Guest

I don't really need this, but it seems like the price is pretty good, so I am thinking about buying an Ampeg 810 cabinet.

The CL photos are not too clear, but it looks like a USA made SLM. Possibly made in 2003. Particle board construction, and the tolex is torn on the upper sides, but overall the appearance is not bad. The guy says it works.

He is asking $250.00, which seems low.

If I do buy it, I would probably just coat it with truck bed-liner.

I have read here about "dark sounding" speakers used in cabinets during the time this was most likely made.

Here is a link to the CL ad:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4084384297.html

I plan to take a 9V battery, (and maybe an Ohm meter) to see that at least all the cones move, and I will check the bottom panel for moisture damage.

So, my questions are:

Why would an old man who is not gigging, (but who really digs Ampeg stuff) buy this thing anyway?

Being made of particle board is the main reason I would not buy it.

And more importantly:

Anything I should know about, or check on it?

(Also, I think he will actually go down a little on the price, as well.)

Does anyone think it is worth $ 250?

Thanks for your opinions!

2. 110s lover

110s lover

sounds abit risky too me, I suppose if he let you play it before you bought?
    I'm wondering why it's even the slightest damaged if he doesn't even gig...an amp of that proportion doesn't damage easily at all right?

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Why can't you take an amp and a bass to test it?

Everything else looks legit, the guy probably bought it used for $500 and used it a bunch, he probably doesn't feel right asking more than $250.

I don't want a fridge, I don't even like the idea of a fridge, but if that deal was on my local kijiji I would probably be looking for a friend (or three) to help me load my new fridge up two flights of stairs into my jamspace.

4. P Town

P Town Guest

The reference to the old man who is not gigging is me, not the seller.

I could take an amp, and a bass along, but I thought a slight push on each cone, to listen for coil rub, and seeing that they all move with a battery is probably good enough.

Otherwise it is what it is. A particle board Ampeg 810.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. P Town

P Town Guest

When I talked to the guy on the phone this morning, he told me it belongs to the bassist in his band. They practice at his house so that is why it is there, and he said since they don't use it, we wanted it out of his garage, which made me think that I might start at $200.00, and let him counter with $225.00.

7. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

If the seller is smart enough to google for the URL of his craigslist ad, then he's just found this thread, and your bidding strategy. :p

8. P Town

P Town Guest

I'm not worried too much about it. Like I said, I don't really need it, and I will be meeting him as soon as he gets home from work, so it's no big deal.

Anyone care to say what they think of the value of the cab, or comment on how these are likely to sound compared to older, and newer ones?

Besides, my back is trying to talk me out of it, (but my Ampeg gas is saying I should do it).

Thanks.

9. kdogg

kdogg

If he's not smart enough to Google his own cab for going used prices, I doubt he'd go as far as to Google the url for his own ad.

To the op, test it out with your amp and bass. If it sounds right, I'd be jumping on it for sure.

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The battery test and cone push is all you need to know if it works. You'd have to actually play it to know if you like the sound of the "dark era" 810's.

The fix for the treble response is to replace the top two speakers with Jensen MOD series guitar speakers.

$250 is a good deal either way. I see a lot of them for $500 that are beat to hell.

11. P Town

P Town Guest

Thanks for your opinion.

I don't think playing it in his driveway can really tell me how it sounds. That's why I have asked for the opinion of others who may have owned, or used one. I think if all the speakers are good, it's probably worth it. I have never heard of a MOD speaker by Jensen. I'll Google them now.

Thanks.

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The MOD speakers come in 32ohms and aren't expensive at all, so, drop in replacement. There's a few guys here who've done it.

13. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

$250 is a good price if the speakers are undamaged with external cosmetic problems. It should move quickly.

$500 is indeed a price that you see them for all the time, but they don't move all that fast at that price.

14. P Town

P Town Guest

I'm talking myself into buying it.

The main thing I don't like, is the lack of durability, and weight of the particle board.

A coating of truck bed-liner may help the durability, but add weight.

Thanks to all, who have commented here.

15. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182 Supporting Member

I saw that ad this morning too!
    If this were a couple years ago when I was in a band, I'd grab it 250 and run! Looks like a good deal, I'm sure you could flip it for a little bit more if you wanted to.

Good luck with it! Let me know how it is if you pick it up.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely a dark era cab, but for $250, I could be talked into just turning the treble up ;)

17. P Town

P Town Guest

Can anyone tell me how much truck bed liner it would take to coat an SVT 810?

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Over a half gallon less than a full one for three coats. I did my 1212/6 in 3 coats with a half gallon, so I would get a gallon to work with. I used Duratex.

19. P Town

P Town Guest

OK. Thanks. If I end up with this thing I'll get a gallon.

Now, will someone please talk me out of buying it?

Thanks

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, well the Heritage is a much better cab.

:D

21. DiabolusInMusic

Don't worry, after owning it for a short period of time, you will talk yourself out of owning the cab. The same reason why it is leaving this guy's garage for $250 OBO. I wouldn't even want to help you load it out of my garage if I was him.

Buy it, abuse it, say you owned it, and sell it for what you paid. Great rental deal. The duratex is a solid investment, you will see your cash back for it. If you end up actually loving the cabinet, even better. A cab you love at a deal we all love.

There is no loser in this deal, unless you low ball the guy. I'd give him the $250 personally to ensure I got it but it isn't my money.