Question on completely rewiring a P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tugboat, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Supporting Member

Hey guys, sorry for reiterating some of what has surely been talked about, but I searched and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am going to completely re do a P bass that I have. Well, I'm not, but a friend of mine is, and yes, he knows what he's doing. He's doing it for me for free because we're freinds and basically said, "bring me all the stuff and I'll take care of it". So obviously I need the pick ups, but I don't know what else I need and where to get it. I want new pots, the works, all teh wiring, and I want quality stuff, not like the cheap stuff I have in there now. Can someone tell me what I need to get and where to get it please? Also, do I need to replace the knobs as well? Thanks for your help guys.

FYI I'm probably putting Fralins in or possibly the Aguilar AG 4P-60, which seem very similar and are less money.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You'll need:

Pickups
    2 pots, stock Fender values are 250K but you can use 500K as well.
    1 output jack
    1 capacitor, stock current MIA P is .047. It's a good place to start.
    Some wire, black & white would be useful.

As for brands, Switchcraft or Neutrik jacks are pretty standard and high quality. Bourn and CTS are very good pots.
  3. line6man

line6man

Is there any particular reason for doing this? It's not usually worthwhile to swap components out unless the existing pots are broken/not functioning properly, or you want different values.

In any case, the standard is two 250k audio taper pots, one 0.047uF capacitor of any non-polarized variety and voltage, and one 1/4" TS open-frame panel-mount jack. Many prefer 500k pots, linear taper volumes and 0.068uF, 0.1uF or other capacitance capacitors, depending on personal preference.
  4. Tugboat

Pm sent

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

hey no fair!

we can all contribute something useful here :)

anyway, +1 to line6man (of course); "re-wiring" as such is kinda pointless.

better pickups are better, and if the pots are misbehaving or are a type that doesn't quite serve, then replacing them with more reliable or different-sounding ones makes sense.

the wire itself pretty much either works or it doesn't.

that said, P-basses are about the easiest things there are to wire up, so all-new guts is not a big deal to do.
  7. Tugboat

Could someone recommend a good place online to get all this stuff..one stop shopping. Not the pick ups of course.
  8. Matthew_84

Matthew_84