Question on MIM Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JKR, Jan 11, 2014.

1. JKR

JKR

Are there years to avoid? Thank you

2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I wouldnt say so. Personally, I like pre 1997.

3. JKR

JKR

4. JKR

JKR

Curious as to what was different?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

I've read that the consensus is 2010 and newer have much improved QC, but I can't attest to that myself. I played a '99 MIM Jazz for a while and it had quite a few noticeable shortcomings in build quality. However, I own a '04 MIM Precision that is one of my favorite basses. It's build quality is great, IMO. Sounds like a P should, and plays very nicely. It seems that the MIM line is a bit hit n' miss, so most people recommend try before you buy.

7. JKR

JKR

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Let me say this: the reviews I've read indicate that all things considered, odds are that a MIM is going to be a decent instrument. Prior to this week, I'd only played two or three at GC in brief sit-downs. My perception was that they seemed pretty good, and a decent deal at the price.

A week or two ago, I pulled the trigger on an '03-'04 Sage Green Metallic MIM Jazz here on TB. I figured that I was getting a decent bass that happened to have a great finish. Indeed, the finish is great, but the bass is absolutely fantastic playing-wise. Yeah, it needs some relief tweaking (already in progress) to make the upper register notes a bit less clanky, but in a live situation, that won't make a difference. The only structural "defect" I've noticed is that the routing for the bridge pickup is too long; 2-3 mm of space on the G string side of the pickup; however, the poles and strings line up perfectly. There is also a bit of neck pocket gap, but nothing more than a thumbnail on either side.

So, my experience, based solely on visuals and a great seller here, was a 98/100. My sense is that most MIM's are quite good. Maybe 10/100 are dogs, 10/100 are gems, and the rest are solid players, which is what they should be. I'm not sure about year to year variations. But in general, I wouldn't dismiss the MIMs in any way, shape, or form.

9. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

The hand full of newer MIMs I've owned or played are good build and sound. As always, I recommend trying before buying

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The MIM Standards are just as good as anything else in their price range.
    The Classic 50's/60's line can rival many Fenders costing twice as much, with retro features to boot.

11. pfox14

pfox14

From what I've read, stay away from 1999-2007. 2008 and after are supposed to be higher quality.

12. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I had a late 90's MIM P and currently have a 2005 Jazz V, and neither had any issues; but it's the same as anything, you will get great and bad in any range, regardless of where (and who) put it together and regardless of year. It's just a case of trying and seeing if it's good before dropping the cash on it.

13. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I used to have a 1996 MIM jazz. It was actually pretty good! But as far as MIM fenders go: the newer the better.

14. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

My 1999 5'er is exceptional. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Play the bass and make your decision from there.

15. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

My 2007 P is excellent.
    I also have a 1996 P which plays well, but the electronics are poorly grounded/cheap.

16. deeptubes

deeptubes

I am the original owner of a 2000 P Special Deluxe. Just had a jack wire break. That's the only issue I've had with it. Solid, solid bass.

17. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

I had a 2001 MIM-P that was among the most live sounding Fenders I ever had. The pickups were hot and the build quality was terrific. Maybe I got lucky. I originally got it to part it out right away, then kept it for years. THEN sold the loaded body because it was such a good-sounding setup.

18. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I have a 2001 Jazz.. It's terrific! The sound is immense.. But the bridge is a bit yucky.
    Tuning and everything else is perfect, however. No problems.

19. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The very earliest ones, (1992+) were rumoured to be made better because the Mexican factory was still new. Wood that was set aside for American Fenders may have been used for them. Its just a rumour. From personal experience, I have simply enjoyed every older 90s MIM I have played. Maybe it is because they are already broken in. The ones that came with the strat knobs are from that time period, and I enjoy them. I have a 1993 MIM jazz and 1995 MIM Precision neck that I enjoy very much. Something about them feels different than newer ones. I tend to like darker rosewood as well.

20. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I have a 2000 P Bass with the strat. knobs, Plays great and sounds fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing. That said, The newer ones are pretty steady as to build quality. The older ones can be hit or miss , so try before you buy definatly applies here. Good luck.:bassist:

21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

There are no bad or good years, just dig around on any specific year you will find a handful of people saying theirs is a dog and you will find just as many people saying theirs is a real player.