1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question on what amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Jan 23, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

I am fairly new to bass. I have no plans anytime in the near future to ever gig or do anything for a crowd. I just play in my spare bedroom.

I still want decent equipment so that I can eventually get the tone I like. I am looking at GK equipment and wondered what you all thought would be best for my situation. I will also throw in that the tone I am going for is something similar to Justin Chancellor/Tool. I know I'll never get exact and it will take many other effects as well, but we are discussing amps here.

Basically I am considering the following...

Gallien-Krueger MB115-II 200w 1X15 Ultralight Bass Combo Amp

OR either a:

Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV 280W Bass Head or
    Gallien-Krueger MB500 500W Ultra Light Bass Amp Head

with

Gallien-Krueger Neo 112-II 1x12 300W Bass Cabinet or possibly a 212.

What do you think would be best for my situation? I don't need to shatter windows but I want an amp that will give some good tone (along with my other effects).
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe

If you plan on expanding your rig I would get one of your head/cab combinations. Myself, I would choose the MB500 but either would be good.

If you want to always have a decent bedroom/practice rig, I would get the combo and if/when you start playing out, get a bigger rig.

:D

Joe.
  3. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member