Question on Yamaha EMX512 powered mixer...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

Just a quick question on the Yamaha EXM512 powered mixer. I am using one now for vocals only in a little classic rock band. I run two 15's for FOH and two 12's as stage monitors. My question is...can I run one of the "personal" monitors using this powered mixer? I'd like to run a small 2x5" powered monitor for the lead vocalist, possibly on his mic stand. I think Behringer and Mackie make the small monitors. I'm hoping this will post a link to my Yamaha I use. Thanks.
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/powered-mixers/emx_box_type/emx512sc/?mode=model

2. robd

robd Supporting Member

You should be able to use the unpowered monitor outs to run them.

3. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

You're referring to the monitor out output on front of the PM?

4. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

I have an EMX66, which is an older rendition of basically the same thing, and it will not output both a line signal (for your powered hot-spot) and a powered signal (to run the rest of your floor monitors) from the same Channel (neither the Main nor Monitor channel) at the same time. I found this out the hard way at gig setup once. :oops: The user manual was not exceptionally clear about that little mix up, either.

Still, perhaps Yamaha has added that functionality in newer versions of the product.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    One band I sub with uses the 512. They run two monitors off the power for their 2 singers, I bring one powered mackie for me and run it off the monitor out on the front of the unit. Works fine. I'm using a Trs out to XLR.

Edit... From the manual read below it notes that the output is unbalanced. TRS still seems to work fine though...

7. robd

robd Supporting Member

8. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

One of the singers in my band has the Mackie srm 150, it gets pretty loud and sounds good, but pricey

9. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

We tried the Behringer "personal" powered monitor tonight and it worked fine. I connected it to the channel #1 on the powered mixer and ran it into the back of the monitor. The mic plugged into the input on front of the monitor. Didn't have to use the monitor out on the PM. The lead singer was able to control his volume on the personal monitor by using the "level" without affecting the volume on the stage monitors. We're going to use it for a gig Saturday night. Thanks for the help.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

My EMX88 can do it. For larger gigs I ran two monitors off the powered monitor out and powered a third monitor via a power amp using the front panel monitor out.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Yes. Through the L Mon out. I ran a power amp and a sub out of mine.

12. Bart277

Bart277

Sure can. We run the same with my EXM512

13. uhdinator

uhdinator

You don't need a mon send,
    You just run the mic cable into it and
    Run the thru output to a channel on the mixer. You figured that out already.