1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

question probably dumb

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gabrams, Dec 18, 2012.

1. gabrams

gabrams

i have a swr 350x which is 350 watts at 4 ohms .. i have it running into a kustom deepend 410 400 watt 8 ohms and a kustom deepend 115 250 ohms. not sure why but my old kustom de 200 watt head seemed louder plus my limiter light comes on when i turn it uo to alever to match my band... what am i doing wrong?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Nothing. SWR heads have a lot of low end content in frequencies most cabs can't reproduce, and that diverts more wattage to them. Not saying that's a bad thing...I used to own an SWR amp myself...but it does mean that it won't be as loud as heads that cut off those lows.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

The difference between a 350 watt head and a 200 watt head is almost undetectable.

Add to that the fact that low frequencies take up more of your power to reproduce then mids and highs, so your new head is wasting some of it's potential on frequencies your cab cannot reproduce.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +1

On top of that, SWR's baked-in EQ signature has a deep notch in the lowmods that is where our "fat", and percieved loud/full sound is.

Try this. Not sure how many mid sweeps are on the 350x, but, turn the bass, or whatever the lowest eq knob is all the way left. Then set a midsweep to somewhere 80hz or so to add a little bass back in where your speakers can produce it. Then set another mid sweep to about 200-250hz or so and turn it up a good bit.

May not be your ideal tone, but help bring the lowend under control and put some "beef" in the sound.

If you're using your aural enhancer knob, keep it at noon or lower. Off until about noon adds more gain and helps get louder. Past noon starts to scoop more mids.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I absolutely love your knowledge I don't own any SWR heads but now I know more about them and what to look for. I love this forum.

7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

No doubt!

Cool to know, that's for sure.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks...BTW, I learned about that on here, long after I bought an SWR head. I never had any problem getting the volume I needed out of it (SM-500), but it did seem sort of subdued compared to other amps in its general power range.

9. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    What is this? Love Jimmy day? This is the second thread I've found where someone posted nice things about him.

10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

tis the season, love me some jimmy m.......

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The first one came from me, so does it really count? ;)

12. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

...and that "mattbass6945" sure is a sexy beast too.......

yeah, it counts jimmy!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whoa! Your sordid past comes out.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yep, it's true. I've dabbled with non-Ampegs from time to time. Even had an Acoustic combo as a backup all through the 70's and 80's ;)

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I assume that the 250Ω for the 15 is a misprint. :)

If your 15 is 8Ω you're sending half your power to it. I has no way of using that power with the same efficiency as the 4x10. In other words it's quieter. Replacing it with a second identical 4x10 will get you louder.