1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Question re: XLR-input on my bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by phayes1007, Feb 1, 2014.

1. phayes1007

phayes1007

Something I've been wondering about for a while...

My acoustic bass has two input jacks on it: the usual 1/4 inch + an XLR out (see photo below)

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391243854.188800.jpg

Forgive my naïvety, but... why have the XLR-jack on the bass itself/what would (or could) I use it for?

...Is it there so I can plug straight into the mixer and avoid any noise/tone coloration I would get from my amp? My GK 700RB has a Direct Out (XLR) jack and the option to bypass the amp's EQ, but I guess I'm just wondering when it I would be appropriate to use the one on the bass instead. And lastly, would I get any signal loss (or other problems) if I used both the 1/4 in. and XLR at the same time?

2. lundborg

lundborg

These are outputs of course, not inputs. :)

The XLR is balanced, which in effect means lower noise. And an additional plus is that the connector is more secure in place.

But you need a balanced input on the amp to get any signal to noise improvement.

3. lundborg

lundborg

And if you use both you will lose the noise improvement from the XLR.

4. phayes1007

phayes1007

Only input(s) on my GK are 1/4 in... which means that using an XLR-to-1/4 cable to connect my bass directly to the amp is essentially pointless because the signal would still be unbalanced, and so there would be no noise-reduction benefits, right? Sorry if I sound as dumb as I think I do--circuitry and basic electronics have never really been my thing :-/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You could go direct to a mixer using the XLR output, and depending on what bass this is maybe you also get phantom power from the mixer.

7. phayes1007

phayes1007

Bass has an on-board preamp/EQ (uses a 9V battery), so I'm guessing I wouldn't need the phantom power.. unless the battery happens to be dead :p

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The preamp may sound better with the higher voltage though.

9. EpiRipper

EpiRipper

The XLR output is used for recording purposes... straight into the desk.