1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question regarding "Crafted in Indonesia"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankieC, Dec 22, 2013.

1. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

Recently, while at a local music store, I was chatting with the Tech there who was replacing a pot in my Squier 5 string. It was "crafted in Indonesia", and according to the S/N, made by Cort (supposedly).

The tech told me that "virtually all basses ans guitars made in Indonesia were built at the Cort factory".

Can some one here substantiate that claim, or was he just talking?

Thanks.
  2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Cort is one of the largest guitar manufacturers in the world. They moved their operations from South Korea to Indonesia a few years ago. I don't know how many large guitar manufacturers are in Indonesia but it is a safe bet that most guitars coming from that country were built through contract with Cort. Cort can make some spectacular instruments. It all depends on the price point the contractor wishes to stop at.
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Don't know about ALL but I have read in several places that a lot of companies that are crafted in Indonesia are indeed made at the Cort factory. I do know this includes Ibanez and Schector basses. Not sure about any others but I believe that there are several others made at Cort also.
  4. swamp2

swamp2

It's my understanding that G&L Tributes come from Cort in Indonesia. I recently picked up a G&L Ascari (guitar, not bass...) that was on sale as the MF "stupid deal of the day". Quality of the instrument really is quite outstanding - this must be one of the high-spec Cort builds...
  5. Ironbar

Ironbar

Here's something interesting to watch!

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Samick is in Indonesia, too. So it's either one or the other.
  7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Listened to the first few minutes of that video and he said something that struck me as odd: that Kramer guitars were _never_ built in the US.

All I can tell ya is that I used to live near their original factory in Neptune NJ, and once got to go there and pick out wood for a fretless. They even put my name on the body, before they clear-coated it.

Can't tell you about later iterations of the Kramer name, but the original incarnation of that brand sure was built stateside.
  9. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Plus all the aluminum necked Kramers were American made. I have a folder full of pics from the Neptune factory
  10. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    That was fantastic. Thank you for posting that.
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Think he was referring to mass produced kramers after the brand got cheapened.
  12. ZenG

ZenG

I thought Samick had the title for " offshore company that made parts for almost every guitar produced these days"

13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Yeah, mine has the aluminum neck with wood inlays on the back side.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

According to him, NONE of the aluminum neck Kramers were made in the USA...no matter what the neckplate says. He spends quite a bit of time specifically on that subject. He says there was no 'factory' in Neptune, just corporate HQ and a few workers to finish up putting instruments together.
  15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Unwatchable. Guy's off his rocker, and much of what he's saying is untrue. It's like he's making it up on the spot.
  16. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

I just watched the Cort Factory tour video. It's pretty impressive.
  17. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

I agree it actually is, despite the numerous negative comments posted below. The bulk of the YT comments were pretty negative and reeked of gear-snobbery. Others, needless to say, had to introduce the whole human rights and abused worker arguments. Such arguments may be valid. Being that Cort guitars made that video, I am sure they would not want to shed bad light into its own operations. Having had some experience in a manufacturing environment, even in American factories it can get rather gritty.
  18. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Yeah, he does come off as less than perfectly articulate. He could have easily pared 48 minutes of rambling down to about 5-8 minutes (or less). But what specifically is untrue? Is that to say that there is no such thing as ghost-building? Is it apart from contracting or sub-contracting to other builders? Many manufacturers in other product realms do it all the time. My company does it: we have a specialized line of equipment built in Germany to our specs, then shipped back and our name brand is slapped on it. Makes servicing that equipment a bi*ch, though! :D:D
  19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

LOL!!! That's one way of putting it!:D

I know that there is "ghost building", and has been for a long time. It's just this guy. He makes sweeping generalizations, and seems not to think about what he's saying. Things like "Look at any hair band video. You're gonna see Kramer or you're gonna see Jackson". His statements about Kramer are incorrect. "There was never actually any US Kramers ever made". Guy's a nut.
  20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

One of my favorite (modified) 'Corts':

[​IMG]