1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question regarding effects pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LordCanesh, Dec 17, 2013.

1. LordCanesh

LordCanesh

I have two Bass guitars, one is an Ibanez Gio GAX-B, the other is an Ibanez Gio GSR206-BK, and I am beginner level bassist for my church. I would like to know what effects I should use... I was thinking of reverb and flanger and chorus... but I don't know where to start. I don't want to do too much modulation, as it is a church... but I don't want a "vanilla" sound...
    I would also like to know what a good price range to pay is.
    Thanks in advance
    Lord Canesh
    (a pseudonym)

2. LordCanesh

LordCanesh

3. Nev375

Nev375

Not reverb. Most churches have plenty of that built into the room and its not really a "bass" type of effect anyway. Except for more experimental genres.

I would go more for a mild overdrive to simulate a bit of tube breakup but not quite full on distortion. That should sound good in a gospel mix.

4. LordCanesh

LordCanesh

should I have stated that the building is a geodesic dome? they do have a reverb processor, but usually the guitars aren't sent there... the building does have an echo... and some weird acoustical properties. besides overdrive, anything else?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nev375

Nev375

Church music is more about holding down the bottom end than getting funky with the noises. So I would steer clear of the flanges chorusses delays and envelope filters especially In that room and focus on getting good tone.

You could probably get away with an octave down pedal. More low end is more ominous. They might like that. Keep it simple. Everything in your signal chain represents some degree of potential tone loss and future technical problem on stage. Own nothing that you dont need.

7. LordCanesh

LordCanesh

got it. Thank you Nev375.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Chorus might be good, although I'm not a fan. Definitely a little mild overdrive can thicken your tone nicely and still sound clean in a mix, which might be a good thing for church. Octave boxes are cool as well. To start, though, I'd look into chorus and overdrive.

9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I play in church, use a multi-fx processor, and sometimes get through a set using no effects at all. The ones that get used at the moment (sparingly, one at a time, and only for certain parts of certain songs) are chorus, light overdrive, octave and tremolo. Not to say I won't use more (or less) over time, but that's what works for me. Definitely less is more.

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I would say get a decent multieffects pedal and experiment. The Zoom B3 is a great pedal. It has a very clean DI that has a pre and post effects switch so you could use it as just a straight DI or a pre amp/effects processor, very nice amp and preamp models in it, decent chorus and flanger effects, nice OD effects and even a few decent synth patches and compressors. The tuner in it is very good and it also has a 40 second looper and a drum machine / metronome that does different time signatures and is a great tool for practicing. It also has a very small footprint. I don't use a lot of effects but when I do the B3 fills the bill very nicely. I started to initially get a MS-60B but when I looked at the cost differences vs feature differences the B3 was a no brainer for me.

11. GretschBassist

GretschBassist

The Zoom B3 is unbeaten starter unit with a nice Amp modeling for the price. Can't go wrong with that thing. However, most of the built in preset sounds are crap, as always with those things.

If you want to go a step further try and get your hands on a used GT-6B, they're not making it anymore but the pros still love it because it is nearly perfect.

Personally, I don't use effects other than compressor and a bit of tube grit from my amp. The bass I play has a pretty growly tone by itself so that just fits nicely together and sounds organic and natural whereas I find flangers to sound too synthetic and sterile. That is my very subjective opinion though.

12. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Second GretschBassist, I love my GTG6B, you won't use everything on it but it has the lot and to my ears at least, works well. They can be found in good shape second hand.

13. vrussell

vrussell

It really depends on what kind of music you play. I play at a church also and my main focus is getting good tone so i got a boss GEB-7 bass equalizer, LMB-3 limiter/enhanser MXR M80 D.I and for fun a big muff. : )

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Get a good cable and tuner.

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Reverb is indeed built into the church. I would start with a mild OD like a Hardwire CM2, nice price, wonderful OD, a chorus, maybe try the Joyo brand, they have some killer effects and they are very inexpensive. They make a chorus and a flanger.

16. LordCanesh

LordCanesh

hmmm... so overdrive could work... if it is mild... chorus/flanger maybe... octaver and tremolo have been used... thanks all!

17. lz4005

lz4005

Be non-vanilla by practicing and becoming a better player.

Get a tuner, a sansamp and a volume pedal.

Also get ready for this thread to be moved to the effects section.

18. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

after the practicing and developing sound suggestions, for a church gig, I think a light chorus would be the best.....on a clean signal. I can't imagine an over driven sound in a church group unless it was a larger band playing with a larger choral group etc. I feel like the overdriven bass sound would be too much

granted, I don't like overdriven sound in any kind of music, but that is just me

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I'll admit that you don't often hear P&W bands with bassists who use overdrive, but I'd point out the examples of McCartney and Jamerson. Both have/had somewhat overdriven tones, but in a mix the OD got interpreted to the ears as thick fat bass that sounded clean. There are other examples as well. Might not always want it, but I find it a great option to have.

20. GretschBassist

GretschBassist

Ya I mean you wouldn't go all Marilyn Manson in a church (although I'm sure he would) but it's those extra harmonics that especially tubes deliver that make your sound so smooth and crispy, cutting through the mix a lot better than a clean solid state tone at the same volume.

Edit: Although you can overdrive SS as well but that is out of the question for your genre I assume.
    Edit 2: Sh*t, wrong thread! :D Ignore what I said.

21. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

moved to effects