Question - Tracktion 2 with Mackie 402-VLZ3

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by michaelandrew, Jan 4, 2014.

1. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

Hello - a complete noob to recording here -

I'm using Tracktion 2 software on an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop (Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64-bit), with a Mackie 402-VLZ3 4-channel mixer, to record bass practice sessions.

I have the bass pre-amp line out, feeding mixer channel 1 line in, and a Roland EM-10 keyboard line-out feeding mixer channel 2 line in. Channels 3 & 4 are not used (for now).

The mixer stereo tape output is connected to the laptop external microphone input (configured for "Stereo Mix") and the mixer stereo tape input is connected to the laptop speaker/headphones output. The mixer main output goes to an old Teac home stereo system and headphones for monitoring.

So far, everything is working well (a tribute to Mackie and Tracktion for user friendliness) except that, when recording with Tracktion, the power level indicator LEDs on the mixer don't respond at all. If I disconnect the laptop audio input, and put a bass or keyboard signal into the mixer, the level indicator LEDs respond as I'd expect - peaking at about 5 dB. The Traction recording level indicators look fine when recording.

Any idea why the mixer level indicators are off while recording? Is it just that the mixer output level is too low (less than -24 dB) when recording? Is something not configured correctly on the Laptop?

Thanks in advance and feel free to point me at documents, FAQs, or any other information I've missed.

And the answer is: My laptop audio interface is not "full duplex" - won't allow simultaneous record and playback. I need a USB audio interface. I'm learning. :)