1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Questions about Peavey EDI direct box

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Magneto, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Magneto

Magneto

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an old Peavey EDI direct box. Input from amp, output to amp (1/4"), and a balanced XLR output to mixer.
    It reads "Max input level 35V RMS"..

I'm wondering if someone knows how the 35V RMS relates to actual amp output wattage? I'm assuming that this input is the power coming from the amp, but I don't know if a modern (300 watt or so) bass head would be overloading this device.

Also, could this box be used directly from bass guitar to mixer, or is it required to be used from an amp's speaker output? I used this box years ago between my amp/speaker arrangement to the band's mixing board.

Any information or links would be helpful..

Thanks..
    Mag...

2. brianrost

brianrost

Wattage is equal to the square of the voltage divided by the impedance.

If max voltage is 35V, the square is 1225 volts. So about 150 watts for an 8 ohm load, about 300 watts for a 4 ohm load. More signal should just cause distortion from saturating the transformer, I doubt it will fry anything.

As far as using it as an instrument DI, it would probably work but it might give too low an output level. The manual at Peavey's web site says the "insertion loss" or gain reduction from in to out is 29 dB for the current EDI model. Most DI boxes have an insertion loss of about 20 dB.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Moved to Amps. You'll get better replies here.

4. Magneto

Magneto

Thanks for the help. I had been googlin' around, trying to find the formula that would help me convert that 35V RMS over to wattage. I was very curious as to how hard one could push one of these.
    I used this with my older Fender Bassman135 that didn't have a balanced line out. It worked pretty good, and caught alot less noise than the unbalanced lineout on that amp.
    With modern bass amps, I'll probably never use it, but might find a use for it somewhere down the road.

Mag...

p.s. Thanks Petebass for moving the thread...wasn't sure where I need to post it...

5. Register to disable this ad