1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Questions about Rack / New Amp Purchase

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by trev5269, Dec 25, 2012.

1. trev5269

trev5269

Recently purchased a 6U SKB ATA rack. I currently have a furman p-conditioner and a tuner in it. I have a svt4pro but am looking to change amps because i just bought a 4ohm eden 210xst and a 4ohm 210xlt. When I run them stereo out of the ampeg head i dont get enough power to the xst, because the xlt gets over powered and i just dont think the amp has enough headroom to push this.

I use a modulus quantum 5 , often with a pick.

So, I am going to get a preamp / power amp.

I have been thinking about perhaps the eden wp100 navigator , or an alembic f-1x pre's

with

a QSC GX7

- the gx7 has 2 channels so I can send different amounts of power to each cabinet ( correct? )

I am looking for advice between which pre-amp to get, money is not too much of an issue.

Also, the eden pre and qsc power would fill up every slot of my 6U rack with tuner and PCond., would i have problems with overheating???

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

For a pre I would look at the ART Pro Channel II.

You could also bridge you svt 4 for a lot more power. Just be careful not to blow tour speakers.

3. trev5269

trev5269

I can't bridge the cabinets w/ the 4pro, linking them would put me at 2ohms and the ampeg can only do 4ohms minimum when bridged. :[

I need an amp that will send differing amounts of power ( would need 2 channels output correct? ) to each cabinet. the xst is rated for 500 watts while the xlt is only 350

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

They are both going to have similar mechanically limited power handling, regardless of those specs.

Are you lacking volume with your 4-pro? If so how is your gain and eq set?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

The Eden will give you a lot of eq to work with, 3band semi parametric along with standard eq. The alembic is a tone stack, mid cut only with bass and treble boost.
    Both are what I consider warm sounding pres, the alembic especially... Ime the quality of the alembic far exceeds the quality of the Eden, however it is not nearly as versatile for the reasons stated.
    For power amps, I'd suggest also looking into the crown xls series.