Questions about sheet music..

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Beefpatrol, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Beefpatrol

Beefpatrol

Does anyone know of any sources of free sheet music for bass on the internet? (Not tablature, but the dots on sticks kind.)

Is the reason this kind of notation is relatively rare on the internet because of copyright concerns? Is it because there are a lot of people who can't read it, so people put things on the internet in tablature to reach a wider audience? Is it because tablature suggests fingerings while score does not? Do people who can read both actually find tablature easier to deal with in some way? Is it because until recently, fairly expensive software was required to produce regular musical staff notation but anyone can make tablature with just a text editor?

Answering any of the big pile of "why?" questions should be considered extra credit -- I am mostly just curious about those. The first question about sources of free sheet music is the one I really want an answer to.

Thanks in advance!

2. longfinger

longfinger

3. bw66

bw66

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    In my view, whether something is available as notation or tab depends a lot on the genre. For most popular music, if transcriptions are available at all, they tend to be tabs, which serve their basic purpose of conveying the fingerings for a recorded part. For the genres that I play -- mostly jazz -- tab is nonexistent.

Also, it depends on who's doing the notating. Unless the arranger is a bassist, they won't know bass fingerings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The answer to your question is because of copyright concerns. Plain and simple. The only transcriptions you will find for free are songs that people do themselves or songs that are in the public domain and the copyright has expired. Otherwise you'll have to pay for it.

7. Beefpatrol

Beefpatrol

Thanks everyone!

I figured copyright had something to do with the scarcity of notation available for free.

I checked out those links -- good stuff. The songs I looked at seemed to be good transcriptions.

8. Constantine

Constantine

9. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Here's more
    http://arcellussykesmusic.com/index.php?/transcriptions/

and there's another one out there with tons of Stax and R&B transcriptions, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Albert King, Wilson Pickett. It's been up in this forum before. I can't find the link but someone else may chime in with it.

10. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

Yeah I read sheet music in my school band but i read tabs more because it requires less brain power.

11. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang