Questions about some used basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natesalon, Jan 11, 2014.

1. natesalon

natesalon

2. kcole4001

kcole4001

I'm no Fender expert, but the 4001 is authentic, and in quite good condition for a (formerly) white Rick. The white finish seemed to be more fragile than most colors and is usually chipped.flaked/scraped off in a lot of places.
    I would want to see a pic of the edge of the fingerboard near the nut and the ends of the truss rods to be safe if I were interested in it.
    Here is a site to help you know what to look for: http://joeysbassnotes.com/

The serial number makes it an April 1979 build.

It should sell in the $1500 range, maybe a little higher since it's an uncommon color and in relatively good condition.
    If it goes for less, it's a good deal.

3. natesalon

natesalon

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The white Rick and white Fenders are both basses I would take at those prices.

The black Rick I would love to take at that price.

About a day left for each to go up a bit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Just a reminder, before spending 1500$ on a 30 year old ric. Keep in mind you can get a brand new one with a return policy and factory warranty for just 100$ more. Just putting that out there if you are Ric shopping.

7. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I don't know enough about ricks to comment on them but here is what you need to know about the fenders.

the 74 Jazz is worth at MOST $1600 and it would only be worth that much if I were a gambling man. I wouldn't pay a dime over that since it has a BAII and doesn't come with the original covers/thumbrest. Also it looks like it went through a flood/been sitting in mold. I have never seen such rusted screws/pickups on a 74, and there are some really weird and off putting things. One of which being the lack of the description.

The second one is an American Vintage so its a new bass made to old specs. Just putting that out there since everything else has been a vintage bass and this one isn't. Saying it just so you know you are getting a relatively new bass. I would estimate it to be about $1k for that one, given you can get a new one for $1500 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Amer...k-/300924644361?pt=Guitar&hash=item461081ac09 ), and given that the one you are looking at has quite a bit of wear.

Hope this helps.

8. millsbass5

millsbass5

Damn. I'd be torn between the 2 Jazz Basses. But, I'd jump all over that '74. But, I'll be damned if that stack-pot would hold me up. Because it looks nice, too.

9. pfox14

pfox14

The old 4001 looks to be in really decent shape. The '74 JB has its issues and agree that the price should be $1500-1600. The '62 AVRI is nice if you want a modern reissue JB.

10. natesalon

natesalon

11. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    If you're looking for a player, I LOVE those 62 ri Jazz basses. However i would pay a $100 premium to play first, so consider paying slightly more for this ubiquitous guitar by buying used from GC or other vendor who will let you return if you aren't satisfied.