1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Questions about wanting to become a career musician

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Apr 13, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Does it matter where you live? I don't live in "big city" area. I live in the richmond, va area. Not sure if there is a lot of studio work to be done outside of big cities.

How does one get into studio sessions? I know I have the talent and dedication to one day become a full time musician, but as far as getting into it? I have no idea lol

I'll use Gary Clark Jr(who is awesome btw) for an example. I was watching him on guitar center sessions and have watched youtube videos and was really paying attention to the bass. And I'm thinking "Dude! I can do that! Easily!" But HOW do I get my name in there as purely a bassist?

Last question and I'll stop! I have just now started taking lessons and am learning to sight read. How big of an advantage does that give someone?

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

There are plenty of threads that deal with this topic.

Do some reading it will open your eyes.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    Read both Janek Gwizdala's and Justin Meldal-Johnson's "Ask a Pro" portions of this website, where this question has been asked about a thousand times. The thumbnail sketch is that there really isn't that much of a session scene anymore, you have to be in a big city to do whatever work is actually left, and the work that is left usually goes to well-known established names anyway. I don't mean to be overly negative or discourage anyone, but it's very hard to get into this line of work because it's ruled by exclusive cliques and they typically don't post "help wanted" ads.

Still, there are a precious few that beat the odds and establish themselves. The general advice to get yourself and your name out as a player is to play a lot with everybody you can in every style you can, create your own scene, and look for lots of other music related income streams. It also helps to look the part, be very personable, and have a lot of pure luck on your side.

4. adi77

adi77 Banned

just be relentless about it.. and sight reading is helpful in more than one way...make videos of your originals and upload them on youtube if you want to reach outside the small town scene etc etc.. but mostly be relentless about achieving your goals.. best of luck

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

There is very little session work even in the BIG cities.

You are not alone... no one else knows.

Dude, there are 1000s who "can do it", too.

HUGE. I hope you not talking about reading "tabs".