1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Questions about what Strings is best for Finger style bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by campbems, Feb 24, 2014.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

I have 2 Ibanez premium bass that I'm wanting to branch out and try different strings. I play strictly finger style Praise and worship and want a smooth sounding string. Play through a Mark bass CMD102 amp with a 2x10 traveler cab and run through the sound system st church. What string is best suited for my style of play.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

That is a fairly broad question. There are lots of strings suitable for this task. It is not uncommon for a bass player to try several sets before he finds the one that best matches the bass and playing style. I suggest you let us know better what you are looking for if you want a more meaningful response. Do you want a bright sound or a dark sound? Is a thumpy attack and strong fundamental more important than singing sustain and complex harmonics? How tolerant are you of fret noise? How tolerant are you of finger noise? Do you want more low-mid grunt or hi-mid ring? Is there any particular style you are going after? (modern worship music or traditional?) Is there a player or group whose tone you are trying to mimic? (Youtube examples help here.)
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Oh, hell...I'll play:

*Dark sound (I roll of the treble 99% of the time)
    *Thumpy attack / strong fundamental
    *Not tolerant of excessive fret or finger noise
    *Low-mid grunt
    *Country & oldies...and country oldies

This is like e-harmony, only better. I don't have to take my bass out to dinner.

Riis
  4. BFunk

No, but you should buy it some flowers occasionally. :)

Let me guess, you like flats, probably LaBellas, maybe GHS. How close am I?
  5. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Like you just heard, you'll need to narrow it down a bit more if you want any meaningful insight on this... pretty much anything but stainless rounds could be described as "smooth sounding". Flats, tapes, pressurewounds, and nickel or nickel-plated rounds all seem like fair game.
  6. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Try one with flats, and one with SS rounds for kind of a Yin and Yang sort of thing.
  7. campbems

Our band plays a lot of Jesus Culture type music. More modern praise and worship. I've always in the pAst played EB Cobalts on the Stingray I just sold and liked it but I want a more crisp clear sound. I have only tried round wound strings so I would want to stay in that.

So crisp tight clear sound for finger style playing for Modern Praise and Worship.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Not even. I buy whatever I can find NIB in the TB classifieds on the cheap; change my strings once a year if I'm lucky. They're always roundwounds, both nicks and SS. My smart-ass response is a thinly veiled search for roundwounds with a slightly subdued top-end.

Riis
  9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Don't them Ib's come w good strings already
  10. chuck norriss

11. campbems

Yeah they come with elixirs which sound pretty good actually. Just wanted to pull from the vast knowledge of TBers about what is the best string for the particular style I play.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Fair enough, so please make sure not only to describe the music you play, but the kind of sound you prefer to hear.

Some people play rounds for everything. I play flats for just about everything...because I don't like the bright sound and "zing" that my fingers make on rounds, and because I like the slightly less aggressive attack of flats.

I also happen to like dead strings, so I never change them. After a decade or so I really like the sound of flatwound strings.
  13. campbems

Here is a video of me playing bass with our band called Just One. This will not only let you hear the style I play but the sound I like except I'm looking for a more crisp tone than this. I was using EB Cobalts in this video.http://youtu.be/3ga6f_l_0Fw
  14. chuck norriss

sounds like it can be solved in equalization & emphasis on the bridge pickup.
  15. BFunk

Yeah, the bass sounds a little muddy and indistinct. It also doesn't blend well with the kick. I think the recording also has a very muddy indistinct kick sound that is too dark and taking up too much space in the lows. As for the bass, I don't think there is a lot you need to do here. I would look at eq and better compression. For strings, maybe you should try DR High Beams and Cirlce K's if you want more upper mids and singing highs or DR Sunbeams if you want more mids. Personally, I would have more mid content in the bass. A slightly more aggressive sound to support the femaie vocalist. Bass and female vocals compliment each other very well. Focus on that relationship.
  16. maturanesa

maturanesa

6 month old rounds