Questions about your home studio work

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by remigiozampa, Mar 3, 2014.

1. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Hi Justin

I have some questions related with your "home" studio bass tracking.

1- I would like to know what´s your set up to do remote session work.

2- In order to get your absolutely great distorted tones you have any preference?
    i´m referring to the multiple choices around the amp configuration. Guitar amp + bass amp blended or just a bass amp with pedals etc… in the gtr amp + bass amp scenario how do you deal with phase issues and other little "problems" associated with run two different amps.

3- The last question is about your Ampeg B15 (USA reissue and the other vintage models you have)
    I know that this little monster is the king for vintage tone but i´m curious about if you find it versatile enough to compete with, for example, an SVT classic in a more hard rock and modern tones scenario (like your NIN sounds, which are by far my fave distorted bass tones)

Thanks Justin!

Best

J.
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Hi,

1) See attached.

2) This is a massive question with many answers depending on scenario. I could give a talk on this for about two hours. Trial and error..."forced wisdom", I like to say. Phase: I use a Radial Phazer Bank, or just flip phase on channels until it's right. Better yet: move your mics around. Last resort: move your waveforms around. It's sort of an engineering 101 thing..there's lots of info out there about it.

3) B15 is not versatile enough for big rock, punishing, slicing sounds. Hence: SVT, Aguilar, Mesa, Fender, other stuff I have.

Attached Files:

3. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Thanks Justin!

1) I see some great stuff. ;-)

2) When i was talking about phase issues i was referring to the phase issues between two different amps not the phase between mics in one amp. I reproduce fast transients through the amps and use this as a marker to align the signals, but i find very hard to get a sweet spot.

3)Ummm Maybe the SVT is the best choice to get a "desert island" rock recording Bass stack...
  4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Use a phase alignment tool like the Phazer Bank or the Little Labs stuff or the Waves plug-in. That'll sort you out.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've found that if you take a B-15 head and put it into a cab with 5k top end such as the 810e or 410he, it does a good job at big rock sounds without blowing the roof off the joint like an SVT will. Of course, one's mileage may vary, and one may not find it as acceptable as the big rigs, but it's worked for me.
  6. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Just stopping in to add a large +1 for the Radial Phazer. Happy to see a bank of them in JMJ's rack. It's amazing on bass but I've also used it successfully on guitars, drums, etc.

I rented one on a lark. After a few days of using it the penny dropped, mind blown, and I ran back to the store to buy it.