Questions about ZON basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hello, I have recently become quite interested in getting a zon bass. So I go to their site and I find one I like and go to the "build your zon" window to get an idea of the price. I was blown away to see the cost. Over 4,000$. Now i'm even more blown away when I see this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-zon-sonus-special-1026444/
    This bass appears to be an great condition. Is there any reason these things don't hold their value? If they are going for 4K+ brand new then selling used for under 2K something seems wrong to me. Anyone else find that they are not holding their values? Are they really worth 4K brand new? I have never played one before but when I went to the site I anticipated them running about 3000$ on the high end. Any information from zon owners would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody,

Mike
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

First you will get a rebate when you place your order.
    Second standard models tend to be cheaper than customs.
    Third is a rule of bass. If the name of the builder doesn't start with a F, it looses insane value at resale.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Also remember the one for sale is a 1997, and back then they were maybe $2500 or so brand new. I know the two I bought used were around $1000 back then.

But even if you pay $4k, they're worth every penny. They are probably some of the best build, best sounding basses I ever had. Both of mine were 5 strings and sadly I just couldn't get along with the narrow string spacing and thin necks.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

So Fernandez is a safe investment? :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You bet!
    I sold mine the same price I bought it.
    One of these built-in speaker dino basses. :D
  7. Musicman1901

What do you mean you get a rebate?
  8. Musicman1901

Does Zon take orders directly through their website? The closest dealer to me is at least a 6 hour drive!
  9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

You have to go thru an authorized dealer.
  10. Musicman1901

oh man what a bummer! That's a 6 hour drive for me
  11. Musicman1901

When you said rebate were you referring to the MSP? I noticed on their build your own bass page that it lists some absurd price that they say its worth like 6500 or something then the MSP underneath reads a couple thousand less. Just curious if this is what you were talking about
  12. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    So yes - expect to pay significantly less than the "build it" price - if you look the discount will be mentioned somewhere on the website.
    Joe Zon's prices are in the middle range for custom, handbuilt basses.
    His quality is at the top, there's nobody else who does what he does with composite necks.
    Any new bass you buy drops significantly in value if you need to sell it. If resale value is important to you, buy a used bass (of whatever variety it is you want).

They're amazing basses. Find a chance to play one.
  13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

I would believe so. I don't think anybody pays the full MSRP (unless they're a really bad shopper). I'm sure if you call or email your nearest dealer, they would be happy ship a bass to you if you ordered one.
  14. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

The whole thing on Zon's website with building your Zon Sonus, Legacy or what ever, gives you the full retail price and then it breaks down to a slightly lower price that would be what would be the price any authorized Zon dealer would sell for and they are not suppose to go below or go above that particular price given on the Zon build your bass info sheet.
  15. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

The *least* you will pay for a new Zon is the MSP, Minimum Sale Price. That is what you will pay at any authorized dealer. Zon's pricing is standardized across all authorized dealers. Personally, I wish this practice was more widespread.
  16. Musicman1901

OK so the MSP listed at the bottom is what I will be paying from any dealer? That's what I thought. Which is about 4200 for a sonus custom with an exotic top and a hardshell case.
  17. OnederTone

OnederTone Sucker for Sunburst Supporting Member

Not sure how unique that is, but as far as I can tell, it's fairly common with "big name" boutique builders.

One builder I know of even has clauses about what you can and can't throw into a sale to sweeten a deal.
  18. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

However you spec-ed it out, the MSP for that spec is what you will pay at any Zon dealer for your bass.