1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Questions for the Carvin experts: what did I buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoerni, Jan 18, 2014.

1. hoerni

hoerni

Scored this one on eBay recently.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390087239.481504.jpg

Listed said it was a LB-75, but from what I can find, the offset dot markets were only available in the BB-75. It feels like the neck matches the asymmetrical profile that the BB-75 has, but I've never played another Carvin 5ver to compare.

The only thing that makes me wonder is it doesn't have any Bunny markings, and I can't find a pick of a BB bass with the side jack and only 4 knobs. (Fwiw, seller recently upgraded to the newer Carvin pre, hence the stacked chrome knobs. Need to get black ones)

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

I'm no expert but it's not a Bunny Brunnel. Probably just a LB75 with the asymmetrical neck option.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Looks like an LB75 to me, Carvin does offer more than the options listed on their site. They don't list any of the option 50s, Option 50s waive the 10 day return policy.

4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

It looks like an LB75 to me as well - nice - congrats!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

It's not a Bunny. Not the right body shape. The Bunny upper horn is longer and thinner too. I would also say it's an LB75 with offset dots option. The Bunny also has his signature on the headstock. Nice looking bass!

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Put me down in the LB75 column. Congrats on the nice bass!

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

It's an LB75 for sure, probably with the asymmetrical neck option, which might account for the offset dots.

Nice score, it's a beauty!

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Definitely an LB75, from the early 90's.

10. hoerni

hoerni

Thanks for info and the compliments!
    Looking at pics, I see what you mean about the horn. Cool.

The seller called it Ferrari red, but the listing pics looked pink with the flash. I dig it.

Only issue I found is the fret edges are sticking out of the ebony fret board. I put it down in my music room with the room humidifier running. I'll give it week and then adjust the relief, action and intonation.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Strap horn is too short for a BB.

12. hoerni

hoerni

Adjusting the bridge was worse than expected. That wilkinson bridge is different, but once I got it working I actually really like it (had three frozen set screws) With the locking tuners, string changes are a snap.

Couldn't do much about the fret edges, but it's ok.

Now I just need to learn to play it. I've always been a four string player and this just throws my reference off.