1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Questions on 1959 Fender Jazz bass prototype on Fleabay owned by Speedy West

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProgramaticNonF, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ProgramaticNonF

ProgramaticNonF

First off, I'm not selling this bass!

This is curious to me that the neck plate has a serial # starting with L.....is that correct? Plus the finish looks weird.

The decal is a modified P with "precision" cut out. It looks like the bridge pickup was removed...I remember that the prototype had soapbar pickups.

Are there any Fender historians that can confirm that this bass is real? It says that there are only 2 in existence. If it is real, it's pretty cool and definately should be in a museum....

I have a few vintage Fenders so I'd like to know the real story behind these prototypes....gracias....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDY-WEST...E-/271398713772?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f309fb9ac

2. millsbass5

millsbass5

I would assume the other of these basses is Herbie Flower's '59. I wonder who routed the bridge pup cavity out? If they only knew...... :eek:

3. ProgramaticNonF

ProgramaticNonF

I think that was original....i believe the first jazz prototypes has soap bar pups....so someone swapped them out....

4. ProgramaticNonF

ProgramaticNonF

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Might be legit???

It strikes me as rather odd though that the photos are not professional quality and although they claim that it lives in a museum it appears from a few of those pics that it's in a rather messy bedroom.:eyebrow:

7. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

Perty but really? Whoever can afford it will probably expect it to retain and increase in value so packed away it will be, forever!

8. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

It appears all the pickguard screws are out, but not one pic without the pickguard!

9. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Also why is there no specific location provided so anyone interested can go check it out, you know like this supposed museum?
    I’m calling bull, either that or the seller is naive and/or delusional about the process of selling artifacts of this nature.
    Would you UPS/fed ex/USPS that bass, hey it’s free after all!

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'd be much more interested in any instrument that Speedy West owned that he actually played, like a pedal steel. Pretty sure his main gig didn't call for much bass playing.

That's like saying "Hey, I've got an ancient bamboo flute that was once owned by Stanley Clarke, it must be worth millions!"

11. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    The fender jazz bass history site shows the original jazz proto with soapbars and not the 2 poles between strings pickup layout that they end up using single coils. Also the first couple of years they had the stack knob volume/tone - volume/tone setup that in late 61 they end up going with the still used today v/v/t . It has period correct clay dots and looks to me to be the 61 prototype when they were going from stacked knob to 3 knob. Interesting enough that route looks like they originally put the pickup in about the 70s bridge located and didnt like how it sounded(bridge pickup of course) and moved it up and re routed it .400" higher up on the body. Check out that neck....shes a beaut. Would like to know the true history of this bass.

12. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Someone needs to snap that up quick and put some darkstars and a BAII in it.

13. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

LOL. or some dealer needs to get in touch with this person so it actually gets sold for what they want.

14. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

$45,000.00 FOR A BASS ON SOMEONES SLOPPY BED! NO THANKS, I'LL PASS!

15. Andrew W.

Andrew W. Supporting Member

Haha. I'd rather buy a Benz for that money than a ****** old bass (even if was legit and all original).

16. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Looks like a teenagers bedroom photo shoot! Everything I buy over forty g's I make sure there are some dirty socks involved.

17. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

THIS is the best bass for Metal.

18. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I thought Joe Osborne had the Jazz prototype.

19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

No. Joe's is 'just' an early production stack knob Jazz.

20. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

The "L" plate is certainly not '59. That back route just doesn't look right. (I know it's too big, lol!) The pickguard has a weird dull, mottled, matte finish to it. Hmmmm....

21. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    If I was a multi, multi, multi,....multi millionaire I would definitely buy a legit prototype jazz...the original bass that spawned the jazz legacy. The second revolutionary electric bass that almost all the contemporaries are still modeled after. The bass that spawned an entire new group of musicians to bring this relatively new instrument to the forefront. I would put it in a glass case and have its own room with pics of all the pioneers with their fender jazz in their hands.