Questions on Refinishing Ibanez SR500

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BeefSupreem, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BeefSupreem

BeefSupreem

So it's like this:

I love the way this bass plays, but not so much the finish. It has a very thin finish on it, and evidently very susceptible to a LOT of slapping and popping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm interested in a possible refinishing job. The body is made of mahogany, and it's apparent that the finish would come off fairly easily (I managed to get off a good portion without really trying).

Can anyone give me a rundown on where to start? I know at least to start by disassembling the whole thing and sanding off the satin finish. I want a lighter color than the dark mahogany on there with a clear finish- maybe something similar to this:

[​IMG]

if anyone knows anything about these basses or its infamously weak finish i'd appreciate the help. Thanks everyone!
  2. Davidmh

Davidmh

I know nothing about those basses, but I can probably help with your question.
    If the dark colour is part of the finish and you can remove that then you are almost home and dry.
    If the wood is that colour you're sunk I'm afraid.

You have a few choices of durable finish:
    Laquer, poly, or Tru-oil seem to be the way to go.
    Poly in particular I know very well. A very hard and durable finish which looks great and will last for ages if properly applied.
  3. BloomBass

BloomBass

Disclosures:
    Professional Amateur
    I have a 505 and I've been interesting in refinishing it as well. I couldn't agree more with you either; it's a great player in a terrible shell.

Sub'd.