Quick Bass Survey Here....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Q-Ban-Moe, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Gold Supporting Member

I have the opportunity to purchase one of these two basses...

First up is a Spector Euro 4LX neck through from 2008

-OR-

A Warwick Pro Series Thumb bass brand new...

Out of the two, which would you folks choose and why...

Thanks in advance everyone !

🎸

2. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite Banned

I wouldn't buy either of those basses.

Out of the two, I'd have to go with the Spector. On rep alone.. I'd bet it's made with better stuff. Also, I think a European bass is a little more acceptable to the public.

My real advice is to look for a used MIJ bass from the 80's/90's instead, or even a MIM Fender.

3. Parkerblades

Parkerblades

I would go with the warwick. Just because I never owned one but liked the ones I've played on in stores. And because I have a spector (not that model) and I'm just not that impressed with it. The only style it sounded good to me was metal. Just my 2 cents.

4. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never tried either one, so I have no frame of reference, but I'd say try both and see which one best suits you & the context in which you'll use it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

My preference is the Euro. I love my Euro 5LX. I've played a german thumb BO, but not the newer pro versions. The thumb is a great bass, but ultimately the Euro is lighter and has more tonal options with the P/J setup and the Tonepump. I've never liked mec stuff.

7. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

8. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I own 2 thumbs and love them both. One has MEC pups and has a nice, growly tone, the other Barts that is mellower. I'm totally impressed with the workmanship/quality of build. The 1st '06 MEC 5 BO Thumb I bought I was totally in awe of for the sound, craftsmanship, and looks, so I bought a 6. A lot of people complain about the weight and "neck dive" issues with these guitars, but I've never found it to be a negative enough factor to cancel out the pros I just mentioned. Whatever you decide - enjoy, and yeah, if you can try out both do all you can to do so, one man's dream bass is another man's anchor.

9. inate_hex

inate_hex

I would go Spector. Im not a fan of natural finishes.

10. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps Supporting Member

Both great sounding basses but I would go with the Spector. Played a 5 string thumb once and it was almost unplayable to me the neck was so heavy. I don't know how neck dive could not be an issue for a bass player but I can't play fast with weight on the palm of my fretting hand. Maybe a 4 string is lighter?

11. progrmr

progrmr

I'd get that 'Wick - those are some incredible sounding low-end monsters!

12. DerekW

DerekW Supporting Member

Glad we're all in agreement...

13. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

both, or just the warwick

14. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Keep in mind, he is looking at a new Warwick PRO Thumb...however even if it was a used neck-thru Thumb, I would still go for the Spector. I am partial to them though. I have owned and played many Warwicks, but I always come back.

15. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

16. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I can support the MIJ but I wouldnt ever rwcomend a MIM Fender. I played the american standard right before playing a MIM and was disgusted with the difference in feel and quality. That one bass burned me.

I would go with the euro5lx if you want a specter. Warwick always seemed pretty expensive and feel nice but i wouldnt k ow about the tone of eather. I mainly would go with the Euro5LX because Alex Webster uses them and I love his tone.

17. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    My two main basses are an SSD Czech-made, the precursor to the Euros, and a Warwick Streamer Stage I. They are both great basses, but lately I've been favoring the Warwick.

If I was you, I would go with the Warwick so as not to lose my endorsement deal. As far as basses, you can't go too far wrong with either of those basses in my opinion.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

You're endorsed by Warwick? No conflicts there? There are one million Spector fans on TB--search "Spector club" you'll see. I bet you can get an opinion.
    There must be Warwick clubs as well after all you're on TB.

&
    "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

19. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Gold Supporting Member

Hey Chuck....
    No conflicts whatsoever... I'm actually purchasing one or the other for a student.... I've scoured both clubs, so I am asking for a non-biased opinion....

Thanks bro! :)

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

My bad. I'd ask student if weight is an issue.

21. puremetal33

puremetal33 ...beware the Hammer of Thor Supporting Member

I have owned a couple of Warwick's prior, I now am on my second, about to commission the build on my third Spector.

I really liked my 98 Thumb NT-5 tonewise but the balance and neck dive left me in one of two situations - either I felt like I was using more energy supporting the neck than I was actually playing, or it was killing my shoulder during longer sets. I loved the feel of the hand rubbed finish and the Wenge neck/board. However, of note, the newer Warwicks (and the Pro series aren't even made in Germany so expect even less here) are no longer using the same tonewoods that made them famous. Having played newer Warwicks, their decision to replace tonewoods like Wenge with Ovangkol and Tigerstripe Ebony have robbed them of a lot of the signature, woody tone that made them distinct. The newer Warwick models, even the German made ones are, in my mind, somewhat of a disappointment. If you're talking pre 98-99 Warwick it's a much tougher decision.

Spector however, provides wonderful bang for the buck. For someone not ready to drop $5k on a US build, the Euro is a fantastic alternative and value. So much so that I am commissioning a new Euro build this month. In my opinion the Euro models provide tone, craftsmanship and playability that surpasses that of basses that cost substantially more. This would be an easy choice for me.