Quick cleaning question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nitrofix, Oct 26, 2013.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Hey Guys, going to be cleaning the jacks on my GK 1001 RB-II, the knobs seem to be alright. My question is, is it better to spray the 1/4" cable and plug it in several time, spray into the jacks, take off the top and spray from the inside ?? I will be using Deoxit...Thanks
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Spraying a plug and run it through a few times, wipe it clean and repeat. This works for all the jacks but also spray a very short shot IN the effects return jack once while cleaning that one as it has an internal making contact.
  3. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

4. B-string

No trouble! Remember to let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes before plugging in and powering back on. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

There are multiple schools of thought on this, and you've heard one of them - use a plug to "paint" the contacts. This is best if you are concerned about free DeoxIt flying around the inside of your amp, and/or are pretty sure that whatever crud has built up is on the plug-facing contact (which would be the case for basic, non-switching input/output jacks), but because the insertion of the plug is what closes the switch, it's less effective for getting crud off the switch contacts of switching jacks, like those for heaphone outs and effects loops. My personal procedure for those is to:
    • Blast compressed air into the switching jack
    • Spray a QUICK burst of DeoxIt into the jack
    • Let it work
    • Blast compressed air again
    • Spray some DeoxIt on a plug
    • Plug/unplug 8-10 times
    • Let it work
    • Blast compressed air again
    There are those who like to wrap some thin cloth around the plug for the cleaning (burnishing) process, but I worry about deforming springs/contacts and don't do that myself.
  7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I use a cotton bud for jacks, think you call them q-tips in the US.
  8. B-string

I do also myself but I have seen too many people get them stuck in jacks if they twist, spin, the wrong direction or fail to twist in the right direction on insert/removal. Either leaving cotton in the jack or deforming contacts trying to remove. :)
  9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Old women driving, only their blue-dyed hair visible from behind and piled on top of their heads, are sometimes called 'Q-Tips', too.