Quick darkglass b3k question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman_2_1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

Couldn't find the answer on here, but I want to try a 12v power supply on the b3k. I feel I just need a bit more headroom out of it to balance the dirty/dry sound. But can any1 recommend a suitable power supply?

Will any 12v do?

Cheers
  2. Zos Kia Cultus

Zos Kia Cultus Supporting Member

Dunlop 12V ECB05 Power Adapter works well with mine!
  3. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

Seems like the Dunlop ECB05 is only US power supply. Any other for UK Power etc
  4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I asked that very question and Spencer said don't do it but you can at your own risk the extra voltage does nothing positive for the pedal it won't add any headroom.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Definitely not a good idea.
  8. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

The pedals great etc, I just find I get slightly lost in the mix when the pedals on. It doesn't seem to cut thru like my dry sound. If I a/b them it is very slightly lower volume than I'd like so was thinking the 12v would give it more headroom etc.

It says it does give it more headroom but just thought I'd see what other users do etc. Cheers for reply tho guys.
  9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    When you find the delicate balance you need between the Blend knob, the Level knob, and the Grunt switch you'll cut right through.
    Remember, the Level knob controls the volume of the overdrive NOT the pedal.
  10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I am confused, you gotta go with what Spencer and the manual say, but I'm positive 12V is okay for the B7K. So the B3K is different?
  11. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

This pedal helps my Ric cut through at full blend, so I'm thinking your bass just might not work the same with it. I started with 60/40 wet, and made my way up to full wet.

My Ric slices through like a blade.

P.S. - Ah! I just recently upped the level knob and it cuts better. Maybe try that, it will be louder as well, with the same distortion level.

[​IMG]
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I asked about both same thing with the B7K and I've owned both the Finnish and U.S versions there is zero headroom gain with anything over 9v with this pedal so the only thing he would be doing is feeding the pedal more volts than it needs could he get away with it? maybe but I wouldn't risk hurting a $250-$400 dollar pedal.
  13. Adamixoye

^ I'm really sure other people have reported differently. But I don't want anyone to try 12V based on my memory---I take no responsibility.
  14. SirMjac28

lol I think Spencer feels the same way he says yeah its ok next thing you know somebody is throwing 18v at the thing and frying it and demanding that he fix it.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I specifically remember the DG boys saying that you could run the & at 12v but it really isnt worth it considering that the pedal was designed for 9v and you will not get any extra headroom out of it running it otherwise. I know curiosity got the better of me and I ran my 7 @ 12v one day for about 10 min. Didnt make a bit of difference one way or the other. I would imagine that these pedals are designed the way they are for certain reasons. If the creators/designers/builders are telling me/us that the pedals operate to full capacity with a 9v and @ 12v it is somewhat safe yet still not necessary as it wont do anything for you (ie- extra headroom) and running it any higher risks frying the pedal, that is who I listen to.
  16. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

Hi guys. It does say on the sales you can experiment with 12v for more headroom, it just doesn't say in the manual. But ill just maybe pop darkglass an email, i'll try and confirm this for any 1 who wants to know-) cheers
  17. Adamixoye

Yeah, that's what I remember reading. I couldn't find it. But that's why I'm surprised with people saying "it won't give you more headroom," and even more surprised to say that's coming from Spencer or Doug because I was really sure their website has said otherwise at least at some point. I also know that others have run it at 12V and reported differences (though slight). Everyone's ears are different, though, and given that it's slight at most, it's easy to see why some people wouldn't notice a difference.

To summarize:
    (1) The pedal is designed for 9V and that's what's recommended.
    (2) I'm fairly sure that Spencer and Doug have said 12V is okay, and that some people have run it at 12V and found slight (i.e., noticeable but fairly insignificant) differences.
    (3) I'm equally sure that 18V is NOT okay.
    (4) No one should take my word for it, they should check with Darkglass.
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Adam, you've hit the nail on the head. I've tried it at 12v. No noticeable difference. But quite honestly, I wouldn't want more headroom out of the B7K, it's perfect the way it is ran at 9v. Def DO NOT run it @ 18v unless you want a very expensive paperweight.