1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Quick Intro

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Low Bob, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Low Bob

Low Bob

Hi all,

I found this site searching for information on playing, or in my case, learning to play bass guitar. I just picked up my first bass, a Yamaha RBX170, used from one of the big box music stores when I was visiting some relatives. I had been thinking about taking the instrument up and fell into the deal. I've been using a VOX AmPlug with some success and traded for a Crate GX-15, which could have been better. Oh well, live and learn.

So, while I work my way through the "Progressive Bass" book, I've been looking to improve my sound. The first step was to replace what looked like worn out OEM strings on the Yamaha with D'Adario's. Next it will probably be new amp time. I was in the local shop last week and they had a used Peavey Basic 112 and a new Peavey Max 112. The Max was the previous generation, with 40W. The Basic was used model of the red trim vintage. I figured either one of these would let me hear myself without distorting unless I want to. My need for earthshattering volume is limited by no plans to gig and no need to wake the neighbors or my daughters when I practice.

This site seems like it has a good "Signal to Noise" ratio, so I look forward to learning all I can. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

2. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

Welcome aboard, Bob! And I hope your journey down to the low end is a good one!

3. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

You also might want to look at studybass.com...... A lot of good info for a new player. Welcome!

4. Low Bob

Low Bob

hypapanuse,

Thanks for the hint, I'll look that up.

Rob

5. Register to disable this ad