1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Quick question about Scarlett 2i4 outputs.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Feb 7, 2014.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I've just got the above and love it. It's a big step up from my M-Audio 2496 set up.
    One thing that puzzles me is the manual states all 4 phono outputs have their level fixed, yet on mine the large monitor knob adjusts the output of the first pair. I'm not complaining, I'd just like to know if this is how it should be.

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

I have one as well, but don't use the phono outs, just plug monitors into the TRS outs. So really I 'm no help :)

3. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

The manual is a bit confusing. The sentence right before what you're quoting is: "However, please note that only the balanced versions of channels 1 and 2 – i.e., the signals at the two ¼” (6.35 mm) jack sockets – are affected in level by the the large front panel MONITOR volume control."

And later in that section: "Professional power amplifiers will generally have balanced inputs (either on 3-pin XLR or 3-pole (TRS) ¼” (6.35 mm) jack sockets); use a suitable cable to connect them to the ¼” jack outputs of the Scarlett 2i4. If you use the balanced outputs, you can adjust the monitoring volume from the Scarlett 2i4’s front panel."

I think they meant to say that the unbalance channels are fixed but the 1 and 2 are controllable by the front control if you use balanced. Got mine recently, so I haven't hooked up the monitors yet. Great piece of equipment so far.

4. dave_bass5

What I'm saying is I can control the unbalanced output on the first set of phono outs, which is contradictory to what the manual says.
    I much prefer this so I'm not complaining, just wondering.
    I also managed to get the other set of phono outs working last night. These had to be enabled in my DAW and are indeed fixed output.
    I'm mainly just running my bass through my Pc to play along with iTunes when learning songs, and I'm very happy to get 3ms latency without any popping or clicking etc. This is quite a difference from what I'm used to with my audio card (even with ASIO drivers).

All in all money very well spent.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

If that works, it's great. I hadn't even tried based on the manual.

I got mine a couple of months ago for the same reason as you and totally agree.

7. dave_bass5

Ive just heard back from Focusrite and the manual is wrong.

The Phono outs of the 2i4 have the following specs;

1&2 - Level controlled by monitor knob
    3&4 - Fixed level output.

Thats that then.

Ive now had mine a week and not one issue, not even a drop out. Cant believe i waited this long to get one.

8. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

That's great info and I appreciate you posting.

9. dave_bass5

Yeah, much more versatile like this.
    I thought it worth posting back as focusrite are going to update the manual soon so hopefully it will easy any confusion until they do.