1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

quick question on cab wattage

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tadnuge, Apr 7, 2014.

1. tadnuge

tadnuge

I might get an svt 3 pro this sunday.
    I have a peavey kb300 with a 15" speaker, 8 ohms, 200w rms, 400 max.
    I figured I could wire the KB300 up as a cab until I get something better.
    The SVT3-PRO pushes 275w @8ohm, 450w@4ohm
    My question is, if I were to get another cab, for example, a 400w, 8ohm hartke 410, would i run the risk of blowing the 15? or would the 15 only take what it needs?

I do realize I could just use my ears and turn it down if it distorts, but I was just curious how the wattage would be divided, being different wattages.

I tried to search it and look on the faq, but couldn't find anything, although i'm almost positive i read something on here very similar within the last couple days. My apologies, I'm sure this is probably a question that's been asked many times.

EDIT: To clarify, I do realize that together the cabs will equal 4ohms, bumping the amps wattage to 450.

2. tadnuge

tadnuge

Would they both get 225 watts? (450watts from head/2 cabs, same ohms)

3. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The power capacity of the cabinet (you called it wattage) does not determine how the power is divided. The impedance decides that and with two 8Ω cabinets the power will be divided equally between them. Using two 8Ω cabinets will result in a 4Ω load and if the amp puts out 450W into 4Ω then each cabinet will get a maximum of 225W or half of the power. It is possible to blow both cabinets with that much power so you just have to be careful and attentive.

4. tadnuge

tadnuge

5. Register to disable this ad