1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Quick question - tuner bushings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by richntiff, Dec 11, 2012.

1. richntiff

richntiff

Ok, so I have a set of Fender Squire vintage tuners sitting around - want to use them on my new SX Ursa neck, but the holes on that neck are 18mm. Does Fender, or anyone else, make a bushing that will fit the Squire tuners AND the 18mm holes? Are all Fender (and other) tuners the same diameter, so all bushings have the same I.D.? any help is GREATLY appreciated - this is supposed to be a budget build :p

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

As far as I'm aware, specific tuners have specific ferrules that require specific diameter holes. I don't think there's any such a thing as a reducer bushing type setup. If you know anyone that works in a machine shop, it should be easy........

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yup...if you can buy bushings that are the right OD and too small on the ID, you can always remove material on the inside with a file if needed. It may be a pain, but it can be done.

You could also do the same with bushings with the correct ID and an OD that's too large...you could take material off the outside.

This would mess up chrome plating, but if you only remove material from areas that aren't visible, who's to know?

4. richntiff

richntiff

Thanks guys - I think I'll just buy the correct set of tuners - probably the least headache overall!!!

5. Register to disable this ad