Quick wet-sanding schedule question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Quatzu, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Quatzu

Quatzu

I'm refinishing using Reranch products and method. One thing that isn't mentioned on the site is how soon can I wet-sand the color finish before applying the clear lacquer? Should I wait a week? A day?

I have sprayed the body and headstock and both are mildly orange-peeled, but otherwise ready for clear, with the last color coat going on last night.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would give it at least 3 days, but I don't have any experience with Reranch products. So that is just a guess.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

When it stops smelling like solvent, I think. Could be a couple of days, could be a couple of weeks. I can't imagine it's terribly warm in Detroit right now, so it might be a while.

4. Quatzu

Quatzu

You're right about that, it was ZERO degrees this morning! Thanks guys.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    In general, I would avoid sanding the color coats, unless you really need to. Particularly if you are doing sunburst or shaded color schemes. Too much danger of sanding unevenly and getting patches of lighter color or breaks in the shading. I recommend laying down some coats of clear right over the color, then start your level sanding. Less risk.

7. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Later is better then sooner. I'd give it a full week. I'm a very impatient man and have botched more than a few paint jobs rushing it. Its difficult I know but it's worth it

8. Quatzu

Quatzu

Bruce, I was sort of wondering about that. Sure, it's orange-peeled but otherwise beautiful. Of course I'll have to wet sand the lacquer coats for feel, but will the orange-peeling somehow show through the clear coats? Will the clear melt into the color coat? Obviously I'd like to avoid sanding the color coats.

9. Quatzu

Quatzu

Wow, I'm finding very conflicting opinions about this subject all over the place. I think I'm going to go ahead and start the clear lacquer next week without sanding. Additional thoughts, anyone?

10. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Do NOT sand the color coat! Especially if it is a metallic finish. You did not mention what color you used? The clear will melt into the color coat.

Shoot your clear...I would use at least 2 if not 3 complete cans of Reranch Lacquer then let dry for a minimum of one month........After it has dried and you CAN"T smell any fumes then you can wet sand with all the various grits and then polish....

11. Quatzu

Quatzu

Reranch Sonic Blue. Yeah, I've decided not to sand the color coat. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to actually use the tinted clear over the clear or the reverse. Thanks guys.

12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Don't sand.

I've used Dupli color lacquer and its safe to go right over the color with clear within minutes.

13. Luvie

Luvie

No need to sand the color coats.

14. Quatzu

Quatzu

Wow. I'm so glad I didn't sand. The first couple clear coats went on beautifully.

15. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

If it were me, I would put on plenty of clear coat if planning on sanding the clear.

16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Whoever said don't sand if its metallic was spot on. But on a solid color, if you start the leveling process before spraying clear, it will save you a lot of work on the final level sanding process. I always knock the orange peel off before spraying my clears.

17. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

That was me Hopkins who said don't sand metallic color coats. The last thing you wanna do is that!

Quatzu please post pics when you are done with the bass....Would love to see this

18. Quatzu

Quatzu

I will. I'm hoping it looks decent at least. It's my first full-on nitro refin, and it's just fun to me.

19. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Quatzu,

I have a Fender MIM Precision Deluxe Special that will be refinished......I refinished it once when I was in a surf green GAS mode. It is actually Testor's Fifty's Aqua which is so close to surf green its hard to tell...... I'm not happy with the color now and when funds allow I will refinish it yet again in Reranch products....

Bummer of this is that now I have to strip her down naked and start all over again! She is needed right now as a backup to my Fender Jazz for gigs. Once I have the money saved up to buy my G&L SB-1 I will have the courage to refinish her.

I'm thinking a candy orange finish.....More than likely use Inca Silver then follow behind with trans RR orange for that candy look.....Matching headstock of course!