1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Quickest way to deaden flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 250GBsOfAwesome, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

I just bought a pack of Chromes a couple of weeks ago and they've still got a really metallic sound and I really need them dead.

Any tips that I don't know about?
  2. Meatrus

Meatrus

This has been done before a couple of times on here, and the general idea was to just play them a lot.

Hope this helps!
  3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    Took about 2 months to get mine down.

Maybe boil them? I hear that deadens strings.
  4. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

I always thought that boiling had the opposite effect? Like they would liven up dead strings. I could be wrong though.
  5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Boiling strings cleans them and makes them brighter.

I have heard of some famous player dipping his strings in barbecue sauce and grease to get them dead very quickly.
  6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    I know, for rounds. I thought maybe it would do the opposite for flats.. Hey, it was a bit of advice! ;)
  7. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

Works for me.
    3 basses, all w/ chromes.
    They mellowed out usually in 3 to 4 weeks.
  8. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

The only way I know is to play a lot with them, Chromes really take some time to brake in. You should keep the bass out of the case or gig bag when you're not playing and never wash your hands. :)

Other brands are less metallic when new. Labella for ex.
  9. Meatrus

Meatrus

An alternative would be to buy some deader sounding flats, as I hear chromes are quite bright for flats.
  10. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Disclosures:
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system
    Butter....lots of butter.

(maybe peanutbutter?)
  11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

12. Nic.

Nic.

I remember seeing someone mention on this board about a famous bassist who used to eat fried chicken before playing and didn't wash his hands. Sorry I can't provide more details though!
  13. Jefenator

Jefenator

Yeah, boiling makes 'em sound newer.

Try eating fried chicken then go play without washing your hands. Jaco of all people was known to do this.
  14. Kael

Kael

Just play them. Coating them in some goo is just a recipe for ehf'ing up your bass in the long run. Who wants to try and get dried BBQ sauce or some such out of your pickups? No thanks.

They won't ever deaden as much as other flats will, but I am sure you already knew that as it is common knowldedge that Chromes are a little bright for a flat.
  15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

The problem with the fried food approach is that you'll get dead strings, but you'll also get some horrible, horrible funk up against the sides of your frets. Whatever you do, do it to the strings off of the bass!
  16. tom once dead

tom once dead

I advise eating fried chicken anyway, because it tastes so good.
  17. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Just play 'em!

Use that one bass only to practice and rehearse- if they don't mellow out in a week or so, you just aren't playing enough!
  18. zachbass02

zachbass02 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Harkte Amps
    Get a small order of McDonalds fries....eat them with your left hand only, then play. Wipe down your bass when you're done with it. You'd be suprised how well that works....
  19. Oric

Oric

Once those Chromes break in, you'll love them. they don't get as dead as some flats do, but the tone is really worth it, and when you turn up the neck pickup (or whatever the thumpiest setting on your bass is), you can get plenty of thump.
  20. nutso42

nutso42

I got a bottle of Fretboard Conditioner and would put a bit on my fingertips. This works in three aspects.

1. Deadens the strings
    2. Keeps the fretboard from drying out
    3. Allows you to slide SUPER fast. If you have any songs where you jump down to the high notes, you can do it insanely fast with that gunk on your fingers!