1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Quiet but audible? Help!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

Tomorrow my band is doing a cool local series where bands are invited to a local recording studio to play a close/intimate show for ~50-~100 people.

While most of the bands do these shows acoustically; our band just can't do that. Effects and stuff are a big part of our sound.

So, it looks like we're running an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar w/pedals, drums w/brushes, and me.

I've opted for going electric, but i'm trying to find the best way of going about things and how to best EQ myself to cut through, but not bleed all over everyone.

I'm gonna be using my MiJ 62' RI P bass. It's strung with flats (Chromes), and i miiiight use a foam mute if that's a good idea.

On the amp/cab side, i'm still debating between my '68 Kustom200 (warm vintage tone) or an '84 GK 400rb (more EQ options...)... and a 1x15.

How should i EQ myself for a quiet setting?! Usually i run the mids flat, boost the bass a bit, and roll the treb. back just a bit. Will this be okay for a quiet setting, as well?

I'm probably overthinking this, but any help would be appreciated! :D
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I never think in terms of eq'ing for a specific volume, unless going for maximum without farting out. EQ for the room, not the stage. Small room gets boomy quick. More EQ is always good, but hard to leave a vintage tube amp at home too!