Quiet Sun

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

Is anyone else here familiar with the band Quiet Sun?
    Early 70's English prog group, Phil Manzanera was the guitarist an Eno helps out a little...

ANYWAY the last track 'Rongwrong' contains possibly the most beautiful bass solo I've ever heard. Just an old P-bass over Organ and piano can create the most inspiring thing in the world.
    No lightning fast chops, just a meditation on a theme that develops and swells everywhere but where you'd expect.

I don't know anyone else who even know who this band are so show yourselves!

(incidentally the bassist was Bill MacCormick)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

No, but thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out, and not be able to find it here in the States.

This sounds like my kind of prog. I don't like the lightning fast guitar solo/high pitched vocalist type.

... does the vocalist sing really high. :bag:

3. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

Yeh do that, you'd love it.
    It's an instrumental record mostly, some singing on the Rongwrong itself buy the drummer. I've heard him compared to Syd Barrett...

Anyway check out this site:
    www.manzanera.com/QuietSun1.htm

It's got sound clips. I love it.
    Enjoy! :hyper:

4. arai

arai

check out '801 live' same bass player bill. eno and phil ore both in that band also. cant tell you how much i dig his bass playing.
    was recorded live in 76 the year i was born...good year

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PhR

PhR

A great album and McCormick is one of the unsung heroes of bass. He played also in Robert Wyatt's Matching Mole which was more jazzy Canterbury prog. He used a slothead EB-3 back then.

Check out also the drummer Charles Hayward's post-Quiet Sun band This Heat. Very different but very good.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

I have it now. So awesome. It's one of those albums where the whole thing feels like a huge epic song.

I didn't know the drummer was in This Heat. Crazy.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

I bought it when it came out. A masterpiece.

I played it at a party and everyone was blown away by it.

9. thebeerleader

thebeerleader

I felt I had to revive this ancient thread to put my 2 cents in. For those of you who like distinctive bass lines that can carry a tune to the next level, Bill MacCormick is a must listen. "Listen Now".;) Check out the bass for, "Law and Order" by Phil Manzanera / 801 and hear for yourself.