1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Quilted Koa Top with dark fingerboard

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by WayneKerrins, Feb 5, 2013.

1. WayneKerrins

WayneKerrins

Guys

Just narrowing down the wood specs for my first Roscoe.

I'm going Spanish cedar body
    And probably quilted Koa top (more brown than red) or Walnut burl.

For the fingerboard Wenge seems the choice for the tone I want but I can't track down an example of Wenge with Koa as a top wood. Alternatively I'm thinking Paduak but this seems to be paired more with lighter top woods like boxelder.

I'm not looking for bright mids and highs want a warm, dark low biased tone so guess a lighter fingerboard won't work totally even if it looks great.

Any pics or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JOME77

JOME77

3. JOME77

JOME77

4. JOME77

JOME77

5. WayneKerrins

WayneKerrins

Cheers guys.
    Going for Koa Top and Wenge Fretboard.
    One last question do I stick with purple heart based neck or go Wenge. Like the look of both so it's down to tone.
    I'm a rock and indie guy with some Chillie peppers funk rock but not big on slap. Definitely warm, deep and dark bottom end tone guy.
    With spec of Spanish cedar body, Koa top, Wenge fingerboard, j js, brt pre amp, do I stay purple or go Wenge on the neck?
    Thanks
  6. LightGroove

LightGroove

If u have the coin go with wenge for sure
  7. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If you can swing the additional cost, I'm going with everyone else for the neck having the wenge center lamination - looks great, sounds nice too. :)
  8. svoncampe

svoncampe

One of my Roscoes is spec'd out pretty similarly: Koa top (and back), Spanish Cedar body, wenge fb, wenge laminated neck, and wenge tone plate (shim). I also did the 12th fret inlay Koa.

Like it a lot. My electronics are Bartolini pre and Bartolini Classics for the pickups.
  9. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs Supporting Member

Not Koa, but otherwise pretty much what you're taking about as far as woods. Bosse top, spanish cedar body, wenge FB. Century Signature VI

Attached Files:

10. WayneKerrins

WayneKerrins

Cheers guys. Love that last one. Have gone for Wenge neck. Gard, Mike has specs and will be in touch.
  11. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Awesome!