1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Quintessential P song? Jazz? MM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

So - I guess I am tone deaf - I always think I'm hearing a P - it's a J - then I think I hear MM and it's a P.

Name your "signature" P, J, or MM tune.

GO!
  2. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Two faves of mine for each...

Precision:
    "What's Going On"
    "Party Girl" (Elvis Costello)

Stingray:
    "Good Times"
    "I Want Your Love"
  3. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

She caught the katy- blues brothers -p bass
    animate rush-jazz
  4. groooooove

groooooove

p- most classic motown / jamerson stuff. i personally grew up on the temptations, so there you go.

J- jaco.. marcus miller.. a million others

MM early chili peppers.
  5. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Just off the top of my head...

P BASS

Fingerstyle: 'Midnight train to Georgia' - Gladys Knight and the Pips. Bassist Bob Babbit

Pick: 'London calling' - The Clash. Bassist Paul Simonon

Slap/thump: 'Forget me nots' - Patrice Rushen. Bassist Freddie Washington

Fretless : 'Show me the way'- Peter Frampton. Bassist Stan Sheldon

J BASS VVT

Fingerstyle (a) Both pickups on full: 'Chuck E's in love' - Ricky lee Jones. Bassist Willie Weeks

Fingerstyle (b) Neck pickup: 'Lemon song' - Led Zeppelin. Bassist John Paul Jones

Fingerstyle (c) Rear pickup: 'In France they kiss on main street' - Joni Mitchell (shadows and light version) Bassist Jaco Pastorius (stellar j bass tone IMO)

Pick: 'Roxanne' - The Police. Bassist Gordon Sumner aka 'Sting'

Slap/Thump: 'Pow' - Graham Central Station. Bassist Larry Graham.

Fretless: 'Continuum'-Jaco Pastorius

J BASS (stack knob)

Any thing by (a) Dee Murray with Elton John (1970-1980) or (b) Timothy B Schmit with the Eagles on 'the Long Run' Album (1979)

MM SR (H)

Fingerstyle (a) Flatwound strings: 'Everybody dance ' or 'Happy man' - Chic. Bassist Bernard Edwards

Pick (H) : 'Lets go' - The Cars. Bassist Ben Orr

Slap/thump: 'Get on the floor' - Michael Jackson (off the wall). Bassist Louis Johnson

Fretless: 'Every time you go away'- Paul Young. Bassist Pino Paladino

I hope this helps you refine your ears. All the best
  6. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    GREAT list!
  7. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

you're welcome
  8. Nobody

Nobody

Quintessential P song? Mellow Yellow.
  9. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Had no idea Gladys Knights bassist was Bob Babbitt - that's a cool comprehensive list right there!
  10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

THE Jazz song is The Lemon Song, if you ask me. Or Tom Sawyer. Can it be both?

THE Stingray song, to me, is Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer.
  11. winterburn69

winterburn69

I hate to be "that" guy, but Tony Levin has said in interviews Sledgehammer was recorded with a de-fretted MusicMan Cutlass II (which is just a Sabre with a Modulus graphite neck).
  12. mojomike001

mojomike001

On P bass: One of the first major pop songs ever to prominently feature the P bass is "Your so Square" by Elvis in 1957. Essentially, the first ten seconds of the song is all bass.
  13. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

FYI, Babbit was also the bassist on that other great R&B soul hit by Freda Payne: 'Band of Gold'

A lot of people confuse him with Jamerson (in terms of who played what) because they were colleagues at Hitsville. Babbit's style though (IMO) was a little less syncopated and more straight ahead, but he still grooved like crazy.
  14. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

PS. For MM SR fans (like myself) I always urge cats to check out the guy from Kajagoogoo: Nick Beggs.

That stuff is a little passe' these days and back in the early eighties was the typical synth-pop, new romantic, new wave stuff that was de rigeur on the music charts at the time. It did however feature a twist: The virtuoso bass playing of Beggs on a 2 band MM SR. Listen to "ooh to be ahh' (the bass part is right up-front) if you want to be convinced how good an old 2 band MM SR can sound.
  15. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Fully agree with you, "Too Shy" features some brilliant playing, Beggs is a top player. So many of those new romantic/synthpop bands had amazing musicianship especially in the bass department. John Taylor immediately springs to mind of course...another really good underrated one is Classix Nouveaux "Is It A Dream". Shockingly good bass.
  16. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Absolutely.
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm not picking on you. I just think it's funny how well known Flea is for playing a Stingray, yet I think the only albums actually recorded with a Stingray are Freaky Styley and certain songs on BSSM.
  18. Geri O

Geri O

A couple of Music Man Stingray tunes...

"Get Off" - Foxy (the late 70s, early 80s)

We are Family - Sister Sledge (Bernard Edwards, I believe)

For the Jazz bass...

"The Chicago song" - Dave Sanborn (Marcus Miller) (But you'll hear awesome-sounding Jazz bass on anything Marcus plays)

Geri O
  19. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

This has actually been a really eye opening thing for me... I went to youtube to get links for songs with my conceptions of what kind of bass was used, only to see something else. Now, it's entirely possible that what was used in the studio is not what was used in the video, but still.

Anyways - I would list the following:

Vintage P:
    Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil -
  20. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Oh. Well then.