1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Quit band due to manager

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ma4rk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ma4rk

ma4rk

Just need to get something off my chest (I also like to read these stories on TB!) so look away now if you don't want to read a ranting/venting session!

I have played & gigged with this band for the last 18 months. Last Friday night I showed up to band rehearsal at the usual rehearsal space as my band's manager/lead singer confirmed that day that we were booked & everyone was coming (9 piece blues band). When I showed up all the rooms were booked & the guy working there could not fit us in anywhere.

I called our manager and he did not answer - so I sent him an sms about the situation & he replied saying he was too sick to attend & asked me to call the rest of the band. Being a large group that has recently had a line up change, I did not have everyone’s phone number. I asked him to send the phone numbers I didn't have. He replied saying he didn't have those details available as he was sick at home (where he also works). I didn't hear back from him. I found out over the weekend that only half the band had been informed of the rehearsal!

Friday was not the first time he'd forgotten to book the rehearsal space, luckily in the past we would manage to get a room as it's usually quiet on Friday nights.

Further to this he had lead us all to believe that we were booked to play a list of dates as a house band for a certain artist at a blues festival - I looked up via google & the artist we're supposed to play for were not even touring!

So I quit the band as the amount of BS has become way too much. We've played a few shows before but most of them have been cancelled at the last minute... At first the gigs & rehearsals went fine however, the fun has been sucked out because of his inconsistent BS over the last few months.

END RANT

2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Nine-piece, wow. Sorry to hear all that.

Best wishes on finding something else soon, if you want, that is.

:)

3. ma4rk

ma4rk

Thanks Marko5657

Yeah we had horn section the whole lot.

Found a nice 4 piece cover band to audition for :)

4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

it sucks that it only takes one person to ruin an otherwise enjoyable experience. best of luck to you, ma4rk!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lankyloo

lankyloo

Good rant! Sucks that this happened, and hope you find the next project soon.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

That should of been his job to contact the band sick or not. I understand why you quit.

I quit a band I really liked mainly due to the manager. He was old, set in his ways. an ass and expected you to drop all and everything if he booked a gig always without asking the band members if they were open to play or not.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

So true. 4/5 of my band is awesome. That 1/5 though, really make it unenjoyable.

9. 4001

10. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

It sounds like the better move would have been to fire the manager as it seems he's not doing any good for anyone involved.

11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

Don't get so down on yourself, I'm sure you're not that bad. :bag:

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

But I am. I'll be removing myself so that this band may prosper without me.

13. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'm finding it hard to imagine that you were the only one who was frustrated with the "manager."

If the manager is not a musician in the band, and you depend on him for purely manager functions, and he's not doing his job, why don't you and the band put your heads together and do something about it? Quitting seems kind of extreme.

14. ibateur

ibateur

He's the lead singer as well, based on OP

15. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Sometimes I read through these threads & think I must live in an alternate universe. We get on quite well (and I mean all of us...band, crew, booking agency & rep). I'm either very lucky or completely oblivious...

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Two things I do not put up with: Lying and lack of communication. You did the right thing by leaving the band.

17. electracoyote

electracoyote

Ah thanks, I missed that detail.

18. Icey101

Icey101

the guy is the lead vox?...then have a band meeting and give him the boot