1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

R&B/Gospel/Hip-Hop pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChanclaKing, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ChanclaKing

ChanclaKing

Hey. I'm looking for a good set of six string soapbar pickups for an active bass. I am going for a sound with punch and low end definition. Do you guys have any suggestions. I was looking into Bartolinis and it's hard to tell anything through YouTube demos. Thanks.
  2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I think Bartolinis would certainly work. Lots of thick, low-mid emphasis.

I'd say the Bart "Original Series" rather than the "Classic Bass" pickups which have a lot more treble response.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

A large percentage of the instruments that Gospel/R+B players use are equipped with Bartolini pickups as well as their preamps. The other choice would be Ken Smith pickups and preamps.
  4. ChanclaKing

ChanclaKing

Thank you guys very much. I really appreciate the insight.