1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rabbath Method prices

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by bopeuph, Apr 7, 2008.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

So I ordered book 2 of the Rabbath Method, and swung by the store to pick it up on my way to my lesson in Orlando tonight. The kid pulled the book out of the bin, looks at the back and goes "whoah!"

I look at the back, and there it is. Fifty-five dollars, and not a cent less. I told him that can't be right, so we started looking it up on the internet. We found a site that was selling it for thirty-five euros, and another one that had it for thirty-five GBP.

Turns out, since the dollar is worth precisely crap, that the Rabbath method costs quite a bit to us Americans now. The British site would convert to 72 USD! For a book that's less than seventy pages!

A manager came out and told to tell me I had to buy it now, since they ordered it for me. He told me these overseas methods don't sell well here, and since I ordered it, I had to pay.

I looked at the front cover. The title read:

"Francois Rabbath: Nouvelle Technique De La Contrebasse Vol. 1"

Volume ONE. I told them that I ordered volume TWO. The manager checked the books, and sure enough, it said volume two. I told them I don't want this book, and I changed my mind on the one I wanted. The manager wasn't happy about it at all.

At my lesson, the teacher made me some copies of the first few pages of the book, and told me just to go with the Murelli for him instead.

I couldn't believe it. 50-70 dollars for a book that's much less than 100 pages. My Arban's trombone method is still $30 cover price and has 300+ pages. I'm glad I got out of that deal with a technicality.

Nick
  2. quenoil

quenoil

3. bopeuph

bopeuph

Hey, thanks a heap. I tried Liben while I was at the store, but I think the link I had changed.

Nick
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I bought those from Liben and it seemed pretty cheap! :)
  5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

I paid 47 plus 10 for shipping for volume 1.... Being a musician is expensive.
  6. bopeuph

bopeuph

It really shouldn't cost that much.

It's things like this that tempts people to take it to the copy shop. 68 pages, less than ten cents a page at most shops, the whole book would cost less than ten dollars to copy!

Not that I'm advocating it.

Nick
  7. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Who do you really want to blame? As far as I can tell, the price of the book hasn't changed, the dollar has.

I'm having the same problem with finding a bow. Any European maker's prices are going to be grossly inflated because the exchange rate is such crap right now.

The Rabbath method is great, though. I think it's worth investing in, although the third book is probably the only "must have" of the three. I'm afraid to find out what the next three volumes will cost.
  8. bopeuph

bopeuph

Not really blaming anybody.

However, I would think the idea of a book would be that the price of it would be cheaper than taking it to a copy shop and doing this. The book still costs 30 euros, and to make a copy, even in Europe, can't cost more than .25 euros, and that's still less than 20.

Yeah, I will still end up buying it. I just have to wait until a time when buying a copy doesn't mean I will not be eating for a few weeks. $55 is a lot of groceries for a single musician, even a bassist. :p

Nick
  9. BMason

BMason

I have to agree with Paul that the third book is a must have. No matter what your method background is, the hundreds upon hundreds of scale fingerings alone set my left hand straight. After practicing the fingerings for about six months or so, the fingerboard is much less imposing and my intonation has vastly improved. Get it, get it, get it...
  10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

11. thedbassist

thedbassist

I bought book 3, I would pay much more than $75 for it though. I've spent countless hours using it in the practice room and highly recommend it to anyone who plays the double bass, I only wish my bass had a longer fingerboard so that I could play scales like C, Db, and D without just forgetting about a note or two.
  12. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

13. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

My Book III was over $100 AUD in 2006.
  14. jaff

jaff Supporting Member

One of my teachers said the reason the price is so high is that Francois is still alive.
    Dunno about that, but I've found all 3 books valuable - especially Book 3.
  15. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

I doubt that's the reason, but it's nice to know at least some of what you pay is still going to the guy who wrote it.
  16. jaff

jaff Supporting Member

Absolutely agree..and Liben is the the best place to get Rabbath's books. Frank Proto is adamant about people getting paid for what they create. I'm happy to pay for the inspiration I've gotten from both of these guys.
  17. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401

Taking a look at my Vol-3, I appreciate the amazing effort it took for Francios to finger every permutation of every scale, and the collection of exercises, and the section on artificial harmonics is amazing.

But the real jewel is the 6 pages of text (English, German, French) amounting to the direct wisdom from the master himself, Francois.