Rack Case Bigger Than Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by russpurdy, Mar 8, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Anyone else rock a rack case that's quite a bit bigger than your amp? I scored an skb case that's at least 4 inches deeper than my head. Looks a bit goofy with all that extra space but I wanted some protection and I can't afford north of a hundred bucks for a new rack. This one was $40. Anyone else rock a big rack?

2. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

Had one. Sold it. Happy with shallow rack and power amp, pre-amp and effects. Sold all. Got tube bass amp. Happiest now:bassist:

Marc

3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

I used to have a GK head and the rack was a lot deeper. But I used that extra space to velcro a power strip with a surgeprotection. Better to have too much space than too little, unless it becomes awkward to carry around.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Effects racks and amp racks come in different depths. Some amps, GK and Hartke for example, are not as deep as some Ampeg heads and will fit nicely in an effects rack. My SVT 6 PRO will only fit in an amp rack.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Good info dudes, thanks. I'll stick with my slightly large rack for storage purposes as I would like to get away from rack gear and pick up a traynor yba-300 when funds allow.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Not sure why racks always have to go on top of cabs. This arrangement works fine for me - especially since my cabs are all narrow/small.

[​IMG]

8. somegeezer

somegeezer

Probably want an effects rack if it's too deep. But yeah, I use a regular rack. But I expect to end up using the back rails at some point for some other gear. So it's no waste for me.