Rack compressor question: ART?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by devnulljp, Jan 19, 2014.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Looking to put a compressor in the rack with my old Trace Elliot amp. Been offered a couple of ART units, but can't find out much about using them with bass. ART Dual Levelar and ART PRO VLA. Bongo's reviews talk about the earlier Levelar, not sure if this one is just two of those in a full rack size.

They both sound quite similar to me as far as compression goes. Not knock your socks off, not bad either.
    I do quite like the sound of the preamp on the PRO VLA, warms up the Trace a touch.
    I don't really have a lot of experience ith compressors to compare these with and was wondering what you guys thought, especially if you've A/B-ed with others like the DBX etc.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    From what I understand the Dual Levelar really is just two Levelars in a rack. But I never did try it out myself to say for sure. I get a lot of requests to review the Pro VLA, but I keep putting it off because of the size... I should just get over that and do it.
  3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I'd love to hear your opinion of it. I'm in Canada, and the ART stuff seems to be more plentiful up here. I played through both tonight and I found the dual Levelar to be a bit noisy, and you're right the VLA is big. If anything, I like the preamp sounds out of them, but the compression on both seems quite subtle. Almost so subtle it doesn't seem worth using. Maybe I'm doing it wrong though ...