1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

rack eq?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by seymourbassist, Feb 5, 2013.

1. seymourbassist

seymourbassist

I currently have a hartke LH1000 which had the power but not the tone options I would like to have. would a rack mount eq really help me with my live sound? also which rack eq would you recommend?
  2. WayneP

WayneP

Hey seymour,

If you’re new to outboard EQs, I’d suggest a 2/3-octave model. Typically these are stereo models with 15 bands per channel (you’d only be using one channel). The filters with these equalizers are fairly broad so you basically have a “supercharged” tone control with more options than you get on the most head units, even those with built-in equalizers. Parametric EQs are also great for bass, but they require a lot more skill and and experience.

As far as a particular model, go with something vintage from a reputable brand like Ashly, Rane, Symetrix, dbx, etc. With the world going digital, you can get great deals on ebay and elsewhere for used analog EQs. Stay away from the cheap stuff like Behringer, DOD, Alesis. You can get some good budget products from these companies, but not their equalizers. Cheap equalizers are usually really noisy, among other things.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. Something simple like a Presonus 3 band para EQ or Nathan East pedal (name?) may add enough in terms of tonal variety.

Riis
  4. Jothabass

Jothabass

The Nathan East parametric EQ (NE-1) it's the machine in terms of tonal change... It affects the crucial mids in a sweet curve, without changing the fundamentals.
  5. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

I'd go with the Rane ME-15. Great rack graphic EQ. 2/3 octave, 2 sides of 15 band. I used to use it in my old rig & absolutely loved it - til my rack got stolen ;-(
  6. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

The old Peavey Q series were great EQs - constant Q filters, balanced ins/outs, dead silent, built like tanks, and about $50 on Ebay.
  7. AndyLES

AndyLES

What are you trying to accomplish, exactly? Are you trying to correct the stage sound, or are you looking to use EQ for creative purposes?
  8. Tuned

Tuned

Definitely recommend a parametric EQ. Graphic EQ's have a pretty serious impact on tone, especially the feel of a bass cab on stage. Analog EQ's have 4 op-amp stages per band, so a 31-band EQ subjects your signal to 124 of them. Digital EQ's tend to be cleaner but introduce some latency, so it feels a bit disconnected from your playing. Their usefulness for PA purposes makes them mandatory at a mix station, but in a bass rig you want to avoid excess circuitry. Parametric is the way to go, which is why they're so common on bass amps.

But still, if you're considering a 31-band EQ, you probably need a different cab.
  9. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch Supporting Member

do you not like the tone of the amp itself? perhaps a preamp like a sans amp could be the trick. I use a markbass amp and a bddi. I get my "tone" from the bddi and use the amps EQ to compensate for the room. . .