Rack setup?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzybassplaya, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jazzybassplaya

jazzybassplaya

I've been talking around about mastering my tone, which is lacking right now. I'm playing a (Mexican) Fender Jazz bass through an SVT 3 Pro and a B610T Sonic cab. My cab sounds awesome with another head/bass so I'm considering moving to a rack set up (Pre-amp power-amp) and wondering if I could get feedback on tone boosts. I was thinking a Sans-amp preamp but I have no idea what kind of power amp or anything. Oh yeah, considering a new bass too, I just need a better tone all around. Thoughts?

2. ntenny

ntenny

What are you trying to achieve that your tone doesn't have now?

Superficially, it seems like the SVT shouldn't be the weak link in that chain, but if you're happier with the sound of another head, maybe it's just a mismatch for the tone you're after. Hard to say anything specific without more details.

What was the head/bass combination that you did like the cabinet with?

-NT

3. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I was always dissapointed with the SVT-3, although through an Ampeg 810 it does sound more "SVTish." I agree with ntenny that in a bubble, that Sonic cab is probably your weak link.

That said, if you want the SVT sound - why not try putting the VT Bass pedal in front of your current SVT-3 setup and try running the SVT-3 pretty flat and doing your tone dialing in on the pedal. I love my tone.

4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    That Sonic cabinet would be the first thing I would change about that rig. The SVT 3 Pro would be the second. (I don't like the SS Ampegs much.)

Again, what are you looking for? What does your rig not do for you?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yukon1736

yukon1736

I thought my svt-3 was a pain in the ass when it came to finding a tone I liked... The thing was way underpowered when ran at 8ohms, and I think that was part of the problem. I've been much happier with my m9 carbine and don't struggle near as much to find a tone i'm happy with. There is, however, a lot of love for the svt's, so I'm more than open to the possibility that I just didn't know how to dial things in for a sound I'd like. but even with that being the case, it's much easier for me with other heads.

7. jazzybassplaya

jazzybassplaya

I played an American Jazz bass on an older model svt3 pro in the store when I bought the cab, but when I got it home on my equipment just didn't sound as good with it. Honestly I have been looking for an svt810 but around here they are hard to come by, most people hold on to them. I can't get away from a thin/tinny sound, I'm looking for a more full/crunchy tone. I've heard a guy play through a sansamp preamp and it sounded amazing, but I'm not sure where to go after that.

8. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

My Markbass SD800 is sick, so I put together a rig with an old QSC 1850 power amp and a boss gt6b as a preamp. I'm very surprised at how good it sounds and I have not tried to bridge it yet.

9. ntenny

ntenny

Know anyone with a MIA Jazz you can test through your existing rig? Maybe you just need to replace your pickups with something closer to the ones in the MIA version---I know a lot of people aren't big fans of the MIM pickups. A pickup swap can make a pretty huge difference in tone.

I don't think many people find any SVT to be the source of a "thin/tinny" problem. Based on what you've said I think I'd look to the pickups first (given that you've previously liked the cab with a similar model head). Other aspects of the bass do affect the tone, of course, but the pickups are the biggest easy variable to change out.

-NT

I've heard a guy play through a sansamp preamp and it sounded amazing, but I'm not sure where to go after that.[/QUOTE]

10. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

there are a lot of way to obtain great sound but you need to think about all the factors, touch, instruments, sound setting and knowledge etc etc
    give more direction on what you're looking for or pm me and i will try to help you

11. Liggins

Liggins

I'm currently running a Pod XT pro into a crown XTi1000 in bridged mono into a Barefaced Big Twin T cab. 1400w of power. I play fretted and fretless 5 strings.

It's an incredibly versatile rig, provided you can get to grips with the Pod's programming (I use a laptop and the graphic editor) There are a huge range of tones available at the stomp of a footswitch, and I find myself tailoring sounds to suit basses and songs.

Highly recommended if you need to use more than a few tones.