1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rack wiring

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ilnickyJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ilnickyJ

ilnickyJ

I have a Hartke HA5500 in a rack and have added the Korg Pitchblack Pro rack tuner and a Line 6 G55 wireless. How do I link them. Obviously input of the head to the output of the tuner but then there are 2 inputs on the tuner to go to the Wireless which is mic level. So do I use Input 1 on the front. Or input 2 on the back which is line level, I would prefer to use input 2 so I don't have to come back to the front of the rack again. Does it make a difference which input I use?
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I would plug the bass into the wireless, then go from the output on the wireless to the input on tuner and from the output of the tuner to the input on the amp.
  3. ilnickyJ

ilnickyJ

I know the wiring chain but want to know what input on the tuner to use. Would input 2 (line level) be okay to use?
  4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Probably not, as there is a big difference between instrument level and line level.

That input is used for amps that have a tuner out, or allows the use of your amps line out or allows use in the FX loop.
  5. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I use a wireless and a korg rack tuner, what i do is run the wireless to the amp then run a separate signal to the tuner. Depending on the head ill use a tuner out jack or pre amp out jack on the head. This way doesn't allow you to mute and tune but it keeps the tuner from sucking tone.

For silent tuning i have another tuner on my pedalboard. So its pedalboard tuner between songs and if i hear something off and want to check it or fix it while playing i look at the rack mount.
  6. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

The Line6 has a dedicated tuner out, which I believe is instrument level. When you mute the G55, the tuner out still works so you can tune silently, and it keeps the tuner out of the signal chain.
  7. trevcda

trevcda

How does a rack tuner in the audio chain "suck tone" any more than running through a pedal board tuner and the rest the pedal board's contents?
  8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Because everything on my pedalboard is connected to a boss ls2 so i can take it out of my signal chain when not using it and the tone suck from running through the ls2 is basically nonexistant buch better than my korg tuner.
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

My racked setup has my wireless going directly to my amp, and my tuner into my amp's tuner out - that way, my tuner isn't in my signal chain... I installed a mute button on the rack, that's plugged into the amp - that way, I can mute to tune or switch basses, or take a quick look at the tuner while playing...

I'm using a DTR-2000 tuner, XDR-95 wireless, and Mesa M-pulse 600 in an SKB 4U ATA rackcase, with a Belkin surge strip powering everything up - it's by far the most convenient setup I've ever used for bass...

- georgestrings
  10. ilnickyJ

ilnickyJ

I've got it all set up okay. Guitar, wireless, tuner, amp. But every time I press the mute button I get a pop. How can I stop this?