1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Racked multi-effects - help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnbegone, Mar 26, 2014.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Been looking into this topic for the past week or so and was hoping to get some advice from other rack guys. Apologies for the long post.

Here's the rub: for the last two years I've had a Line 6 M5 in my rack in my amps effects loop doing a few things: some delays, one or two reverbs, some EQ work to thin out my bass at times, and volume control. I have it hooked up via midi and it's controlled via Ableton.

This has been great and lately I've started using it more and more as we are writing a new record, been experimenting with controlling paramters via CC's to do some wild time based stuff (things like pitch bends and slides) - lots of fun. The problem is I've come to the conclusion that I need to be able to use more than one effect at a time, so I figured I'd just buy the M9, but that's going to take up a good bit of my rack shelf (read: most all of it) that I'm planning on storing other pedals on, so that leads me to where we are now.

I've started to consider a rack effect unit that is 1U or less (putting an M9 on a shelf will be 2U, might as well get a Pod HD Pro at that point).

Units I'm considering:
    -Digitech GSP1101 - attractive to me because of the 4 cable method, being able to split some effect PRE amp and some POST amp
    -TC G Major 2 - Heard lots of good things and lots of terrible things, mostly regarding build quality.
    -Boss VF-1 - an oldie but it still seems to come up all the time in these discussions. For what I'm using it for - will it stack up sound quality wise to my other options? I can't go DOWN in quality from the Line 6 M class stuff, so that's my benchmark.

Other than that, I'm all ears. I don't need it for any drives, and I have a SA Orbital and Manta so modulation is well covered, it's really just that stuff I mentioned above. Although, if I can get more out of it, I certainly will enjoy that (VF-1 having some interesting "out there" algorithms might be cool and allow me to sell some of my "out there" pedals that I don't use that often - e.g SuperSynth, Robot Devil, Geiger).

Let me know what you guys think! Your input is MUCH appreciated.

2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I know I turn to you for advice on these things, but a few of my guitar buddies have H9's racked and linked with Midi. With the iPad interface, it is pretty sweet to see them tweak and save patches on the fly.

3. johnbegone

Yep, the H9 is on my GAS list still - but doesn't solve my problem of two effects at the same time, I'm looking for a simpler/cheaper fix for now. I could pair up the M5 and H9 though - so that may be an option someday. I'm not looking to spend more than $250 or so for this right now.

4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I completely understand. One of my guitar players has two H9's that he stacks. That is a lot of dough....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnbegone

Just snagged a GSP1101 from GC used for a good price - easy enough to flip without losing much. Still interested in people's opinions. I'm likely going to try and find a VF-1 as well unless I get other advice and test them both out for the stuff I'm looking to do.

7. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

used Fractal Audio AxeFx Standard if you can find one, with a Behringer FCB1010

8. chromatic_death

chromatic_death

Under $250!!!! the digitech and TC are both around $650 in Australia! we pay more for everything down here :crying:

9. johnbegone

One of the perks of living in the US, I suppose. I was able to snag a great deal on a GSP1101. Haven't had a chance to integrate much as I've been waiting for a new rack + drawer for my pedals. Will be building it all up after a show next week - will report back on my yays and nays.

So far I've upgraded to the v63 beta firmware from mustbebeta.com. The GUI is great for quick and easy editing, although it's not terribly hard to navigate from the front screen once you get the hang of it.

10. chromatic_death

chromatic_death

How do you like the GSP1101? i am considering it myself as its 1RU but not very bass orientated, no wah or synth

11. deeptubes

deeptubes

GSP1101? Georges St Pierre has a multi out? ;)