1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Rackmount Preamps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Besides the three Tech 21 models and a couple of BBE models what new rack mount preamps are there out there? Most seem to have been discontinued.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Eden Navigator, Art makes one, Demeter makes a few, and I'm sure there are a few others.

It's just not as popular of a format that it once was. Most musicians don't want to bother with a rack if they don't have to.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Verellen Meatsmoke, Line 6 POD XT Pro (used only), Axe FX, Ampeg SVP (used only), SWR Marcus Miller (used only), Monolith Magma (used only, do not attempt to buy from mfg), and Behringer V-Amp Pro are the ones that come to mind.

Verellen, Ampeg, and Monolith are true preamps. No effects included beyond overdrive/distortion from gain adjustments.

The others I listed have some amp/cab sims and various effects available. I have owned the Verellen and it is fantastic. I also own a Monolith Magma which is a beast, but the company has a very poor history. My unit had to be completely rewired by another builder to make it functional, and Monolith has a history of taking orders and not fulfilling them. Therefore, approach with caution. There are good used ones out there somewhere.

I actually prefer the rack/ Midi control to my former PT Pro with 22 pedals. Much easier to move from gig to gig, and I never have to worry about the back line gear or size of the venue.

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Jule Monique
    Demeter
    Conrad Amps (Conrad Sundholm from Sunn)

7. nshuman

nshuman The lesser of three snobs Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
  8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Alembic still makes three of them: F2B, F1X, and SF2

9. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm starting to too! It looks cleaner and I don't have a bunch of expensive electronics sitting on the floor.