Rackmount Preamps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Besides the three Tech 21 models and a couple of BBE models what new rack mount preamps are there out there? Most seem to have been discontinued.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Eden Navigator, Art makes one, Demeter makes a few, and I'm sure there are a few others.

It's just not as popular of a format that it once was. Most musicians don't want to bother with a rack if they don't have to.
  3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Verellen Meatsmoke, Line 6 POD XT Pro (used only), Axe FX, Ampeg SVP (used only), SWR Marcus Miller (used only), Monolith Magma (used only, do not attempt to buy from mfg), and Behringer V-Amp Pro are the ones that come to mind.

Verellen, Ampeg, and Monolith are true preamps. No effects included beyond overdrive/distortion from gain adjustments.

The others I listed have some amp/cab sims and various effects available. I have owned the Verellen and it is fantastic. I also own a Monolith Magma which is a beast, but the company has a very poor history. My unit had to be completely rewired by another builder to make it functional, and Monolith has a history of taking orders and not fulfilling them. Therefore, approach with caution. There are good used ones out there somewhere.

I actually prefer the rack/ Midi control to my former PT Pro with 22 pedals. Much easier to move from gig to gig, and I never have to worry about the back line gear or size of the venue.
  4. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Avalon u5
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jule Monique
    Demeter
    Conrad Amps (Conrad Sundholm from Sunn)
  6. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Alembic still makes three of them: F2B, F1X, and SF2
  8. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I'm starting to too! It looks cleaner and I don't have a bunch of expensive electronics sitting on the floor.