1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Radial Dragster: What does it really do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sineas, Feb 5, 2008.

1. sineas

sineas F@H TEAM 33258

Came across a Radial Dragster:
    http://www.tonebone.com/tbone-dragster.htm
    What does it do? How does it work? Does it really work?

Thanx
  2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

On passive instruments, there is a lot of interaction between the pickups, the instrument cable, and the amp. The input section of the amp, and the instrument cable, load down the pickups. If you use a wireless system, the pickups don't get loaded the same way. This tries to restore that. I don't know how well it works, I haven't heard anything.

Something like this isn't necessary on active instruments, because the on board preamp already loads the pickups.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Impedance loading affects the frequency response of a passive pickup.

Think about turning down the volume on a passive bass cuts high end or the fabled "tone suck" when plugging into effects pedals. Now imagine being able to tune the response to taste.

It's not a gimmick but it is a subtlety.
  4. MichaelVee

MichaelVee Supporting Member

I looked at the Dragster for my passive basses, but then decided on the Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster. Not only does it allow you to change the tone with a three-position switches, but it's also a great signal booster. It's not as variable as the Dragster, but the three settings give you some different tones to work with.

I have plugged in a passive bass to the SFX-01, then from there patched into a Radial JDI. This is a very nice setup, because it allows you to boost the signal going into the JDI, a passive DI, and send a hotter signal to the FOH.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    High impedance pickups suffer high-frequency losses in the cable, due to cable capacitance. Active on board preamps or belt/strap carried wireless eliminates those losses by eliminating long cables between the pickups and the first gain stage. This rig has the ability to mimic the high frequency losses of a long cable for those who prefer that tone.
  6. sineas

sineas F@H TEAM 33258

So if I'm reading it right... this little thing works as advertised and should work well on both wired and wireless applications... yes?
  7. Chopshonky

Chopshonky

I am looking for an output impedance control to put in front of a picky fuzz pedal, will this do the job? Is it basically a pickup simulator?