Radial JDI speaker feature

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 10cc, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 10cc

10cc

For anyone that uses a radial jdi have you ever tried the speaker route. I've had mine not to long but haven't ran it in that mode live yet. Actually I've just became hip to this process. Sounds like it might even sound better?
  2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    I have not and only used the JDX that way for guitar with successful results.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I did it when I had one, and it worked very well that way...

- georgestrings
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I have been Countryman 85 speaker DI'd a few times, for my sound the highs need taming at the board, otherwise fine. Since I got my AkgP2, DI begone.
  5. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

Just to double-check whether I'm understanding properly, can the JDI take a speaker-level input, or does it just have a speaker-emulating feature that tames the high end some?
  6. 10cc

10cc

From what I've gathered is this:
    You can run a 1/4 instrument cable from your cabinet (parallel jack) to the DI. You have to first hit two buttons on the DI
    1. -15 pad
    2. Speaker button

This will send a wet signal to the board and also will engage a feature in the DI that supposedly emulates a 12 driver.

Have not tried it yet but it sounds worth trying? Might sound better?
  7. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

Thanks for that, that was my understanding from the manual, as well, just double-checking

I just recently bought an AD200, which doesn't have a preamp out or a loop or anything, so it's either be able to DI a speaker out or DI my bass only, and why the hell have a nice amp and not hear it, even in fold.
  8. MR PC

MR PC

It works really well that way. Ground lift, polarity/phase switch, 15db signal pad, all make it flexible too. I've used it a few times to take the speaker out of my 40 watt tube combo to a power amp/ speaker cabinet onstage too. Sounds great.
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The manual doesn't specify either way, but wouldn't you use a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable?
  10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Just got an email response from Radial confirming it's a speaker cable you use from the cabinet to the JDI.
  11. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Considering a JDI at the moment.

If it is a 1/4"jack then the signal is carried the same way isn't it? Are they saying speaker cable purely due to the wattage going thru it?
  12. Geri O

Geri O

Well, it's actually the current going through it, but yes.
  13. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Yup. You're just inserting the DI between amp and cab rather than between bass and amp, hence the requirement for the pad, etc. I've used JDI's for a long time, but I've never actually tested one out for a speaker level DI.
  14. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

I picked up a JDI when the DI out on my Eden started to get noisy... seemed a cheaper route than the multiple tech visits. I initially used it with the speaker function running it out of the speaker output of the amp with good results but I felt like the speaker sim rolled off the tone too much for my taste. After recording with the JDI both ways i opted for just running it in front of the amp and letting the FOH do any tweaking needed... now i change my stage sound with the amp and just let my bass run full out front which keeps the sound guy from giving me dirty looks when I want more bass on stage.
  15. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Another fine example of my electronics prowess.... :rollno:
  16. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

I have one and haven't tried going that route. Most guys behind the desk want as flat of a signal as you can give them, which usually means putting the DI between your bass and your amp. The JDI largely sits in the gear bag as my head has a "Pre-EQ" direct out that keeps most sound guys happy, but occasionally they want a box instead.

It sort of flies in the face of buying a "good rig" when most of the time the house sound wants to bypass it completely and it becomes basically a stage monitor for you, but it gives the sound guy more control. When you give the sound guy a "wet" signal with your EQ already dialed in if you have a frequency emphasized on your amp that really doesn't work in that space, it makes the sound guy's life difficult. That usually means you either get buried in the mix or sound like crap all night.

If you have really developed a tone that is unique and a solid enough style that a flat eq or the standard "this is what bass sounds like" eq the sound guy usually runs with won't work for you, you need to have that conversation with the sound guy. Sending him a signal that isn't what he wants when he doesn't know why is going to make no one happy that night.
  17. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I just wanted to revive this thread to ask a question.

I am planning on using the JDI in a post Amp/Speaker situation. The manual for the JDI says it isn't a load box, and isn't capable of taking a load from an amp by itself, there must be a speaker load attached.

That means it MUST be run after the speaker, not between amp and speaker. Is this correct? Also - If I have an amp with multiple speaker outs, If I have a speaker connected to one of the outputs, can I connect the JDI to another output without risking damage?

I'm thinking of putting the JDI in the back of my rack permanently patched into a speaker out.

Thanks!
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, it means it must be run between amp and speaker, but you can't run it without a speaker (only if you have a tube amp, though I can't think of a reason for using it that way unless you use a tube amp).
  19. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

So you don't believe there is any benefit running it in this config unless I'm using a tube amp? I was going to use it with my Sunn 1200s...

The manual specifically shows it with a lead from your speaker to the JDI. I find it odd, but that is how they show it.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well maybe it's tube-snob bias, but I've not heard a lot of difference between just running a preamp from a SS amp into the PA and using the speaker out DI method. And I just looked up in the manual, and you are correct...that's exactly how they show using it for a speaker out DI. So I stand corrected on that, but you can do either or, although it does free up a 1/4" jack to go elsewhere if you do it the way they did it in the manual.

Interesting...you really do learn something new every day!