Radial JDI vs J48

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HeavyJazz77, Aug 23, 2013.

1. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

What's the benefit to the active J48 compared to the passive JDI? Would I get more clarity and headroom on the 48 or is that solely designed for passive instruments?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

The passive JDI has the advantage of not requiring external power, but has a lower input impedance. The J48 has the advantage of a higher input impedance, but requires external power.

Either will sound great.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Another benefit of an active DI is that you can run a passive bass without signal loss at a much further distance than doing it with a passive DI.

I use both and like both.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Passive basses like active DI’s better.

I also have and like both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

I have a j48 and run both active and passive basses. Both di's really are great. You can't go wrong. I love my j48.

7. HeavyJazz77

Recieved my J48 yesterday and I have to say - nothing against the JDI - but the J48 is massively dynamic with far more clarity to my ears than the latter. A much stronger and clearer signal to feed the DAW with this unit for sure. Granted it's no U5 or anything, but for a DI "box" this is impressively close.

Very impressive...

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Had the same experience but with a Radial JDV vs. JDI. The JDV provided a much clearer, more robust signal than the JDI. Active vs. passive, perhaps? Still have the JDI for backup, reamping and other random projects. But I switched my main DI to a REDDI.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This. It's not that the J48 is "more dynamic" or "more clear", it's that passive DI's always load down passive instruments.

10. HeavyJazz77

I should mention that my views are based on a Zon 5/2 bass. I know that JDV is really something... Kind of like the Avalon without the EQ knob really.

11. dpbass66

dpbass66 Supporting Member

I have all active basses and was informed by Radial company techs that using active DI with active basses is not a good idea. It was so long ago i cant recall the reason. Can anyone speak to this? I do have a high end bass with 18v electronics that some sound guys complain gets them a low signal.....through the JDI. Hmmmmm

12. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I've received similar comments from sound guys when using a JDI with active basses so I'd also be interested in hearing some feedback on the question.

13. english4bw

english4bw

14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I've always heard - Active Bass with Passive DI,,,, Passive Bass with Active DI.

I use a Countryman Type 85. Very nice, never had a problem, takes a battery (400 hours) or phantom power, and you can use it direct from your bass, or from the back of your amp.

15. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

There is no reason why you can't use an active DI with an active bass. I do it all the time and it sounds fantastic.

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Absolutely true. I do it all the time with my active Rob Allen Deep 4 fretless bass. Likewise, my passive JDI works fine with my passive Rob Allen Solid 4 electric bass. Use whatever sounds good to your ears.